- Here are the duties you, the employer, share with your company's Health and Safety Representatives
- Although your Health and Safety Representatives (or HSE Reps as they're commonly referred to) carry out most of the responsibilities when it comes to your company's health and safety duties, employers should know that many of the duties when it comes to health and safety at the workplace also belong to them.
Let's take a look at them.
You and your HSE Rep share these safety responsibilities... ››› more
- [02 April 2015]
- Do you know your Health and Safety Representatives' duties?
- As part of your duties, you need to make sure your Health and Safety Representatives aren't neglecting their responsibilities.
As it is the case in every situation, you can only make sure this is not happening if you know the law.
And today, we're helping you with that...
Here's what your Health and Safety Representatives have to keep an eye on
Firstly, Health and Safety Representative... ››› more
- [02 April 2015]
- Here are four situations where your health and safety representatives must be your right hand man
- The OHS Act requires you to appoint a health and safety representative if you have more than 20 employees. But your health and safety rep isn't just someone you must appoint to comply with OHS regulations. Your rep should be your right hand man in the prevention of workplace accidents. He's your eyes and ears on the ground. Your direct link to your employees' health and safety needs and demands.
... ››› more
- [25 June 2014]
- Don't draw straws. Here's how to nominate your Health and Safety Representative the right way
- Appointing a health and safety representative isn't a matter of drawing straws and just picking anyone. There's a process you must follow to nominate your health and safety representative.
If you don't follow this process, you could end up with a representative who:
1. None of your other staff will listen to;
2. Doesn't fulfill your OHS regulation's requirements; and
3. Doesn't want the po... ››› more
- [02 June 2014]
- If your Health and Safety representative doesn't do these nine things, he's not doing his job!
- You have 92 employees so, you've appointed a Health and Safety Representative just as the OHS Act instructs. You've trained him and you think you're on the fast track to complying with all your OHS regulations.
But wait! Just because you've appointed and trained your safety representative, doesn't mean he's actually doing his job. He could be standing in your way of compliance.
That's why y... ››› more
- [30 May 2014]
- Five things you need to look out for when choosing your company's safety officer
- Choosing a safety office is extremely important when it comes to the safety of your construction employees. But if you appoint the wrong person for that job, you could end up regretting it. Here are five things that you should look out for to make sure you hire the best person for the job.
Do you know how to elect your company's Health and Safety Representa... ››› more
- [22 April 2014]
- Revealed: Vital, need-to-know information every Health & Safety Supervisor needs to know
- Your Health and Safety Supervisors play a vital role in your company. They plan, organise, lead and control your employees. As such, they must be properly equipped to perform their duties. To do that, you need to make sure your supervisors are aware of the following information so they can perform their duties efficiently...
The role of Health &Safety Supervisors explained
While the term 'h... ››› more
- [08 April 2014]
- Appointing a Health and Safety Manager? Make sure he has these following skills
- As you know, you must appoint a Health and Safety Officer if you have more than 20 employees. Essentially, your employees nominate this person. But what about appointing qualified people, like a Health and Safety Manager? Use this sample job description to ensure your Health and Safety Manager has the right skills.
It's crucial that you appoint qualified people. This goes a long way when it com... ››› more
- [17 February 2014]
- Your four duties regarding HSE Committees
- If you have two or more Health and Safety Representatives in your company, they automatically form a health and safety (HSE) committee (OHS Act, Section 19). Read on for your four employer duties when it comes to these HSE committees... Dear Reader
If you have two or more Health and Safety Representatives in your company, they automatically form a health and safety (HSE) committee (OHS Act, Sec... ››› more
- [04 February 2014]
- Revealed: Your legal requirements as a health and safety supervisor
- Are you a health and safety supervisor in your company? If so, read on to find out what your legal requirements are, so you can avoid penalties.
Being a health and safety supervisor comes with a lot of responsibilities. And unfortunately for you, overlooking these duties comes with a heavy price.
If you don't comply with Section 8 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) or do anyth... ››› more
- [02 January 2014]
- Six things HSE officers are empowered to do
- It's important you're aware of what HSE officers are empowered to do. If the Department of Labour (DoL) visits your premises, they'll ask you about this to ensure you're in line with safety laws.
In terms of the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), HSE officers are empowered to do the following duties…
HSE officers are empowered to perform these six duties…
According to Louise... ››› more
- [05 December 2013]
- How often should your HSE committee hold meetings?
- You probably know that the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) requires your Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) committee to hold meetings. But, do you know how often these meetings must be held? Read on to find out so you can ensure your HSE committee is complaint.
Don't know when and how often your HSE committee must hold its meetings?
If so, here's a simple explanation…
You... ››› more
- [05 December 2013]