- Three ways to make sure you give your employees the right amount of annual leave this December!
- With December only a couple of weeks away, there's no doubt your Inbox will be flooded with your employee's leave requests.
We receive so many questions about how to work out leave at this time of year. But do you know how to handle annual leave correctly?
Read on to find out how much annual leave your employees are entitled to...
All your annual leave qu... ››› more
- [17 November 2016]
- Do you have to pay your employee additional time off once he's exhausted his sick leave?
- We get this question a lot from our readers.
If you're a manager and your employee uses all his sick leave, do you have to pay him for extra sick leave?
The answer is quite simple - No, you don't have to pay him for any additional time off once he's used all his statutory sick leave.
But this is what the BCEA says you can do in this situation...
Keep reading below.
'Every ... ››› more
- [03 November 2016]
- Does an employee have to disclose her pregnancy when applying for a job?
- One question that always crops up when it comes to maternity leave matters is whether or not employees or job applicants should disclose that they're pregnant when applying for a job. Read on to find out what labour law says about this so you can avoid a court battle.
An employee DOES NOT have to disclose her pregnancy when applying for a job
The Labour Law for Managers Loose Leaf Service e... ››› more
- [19 October 2016]
- Four types of leave you DON'T have to give to employees....
- When employees ask for leave, you must give it to them because it's your legal obligation, right?
You only have to give maternity leave, sick leave, family responsibility leave and annual leave. Read on to discover four types of leave you don't have to give to employees so you can effectively manage leave.
An ineffective leave policy could cripple your business from ri... ››› more
- [10 October 2016]
- Your employee left work at 2pm with a migraine - how do you handle her sick leave?
- Everyone has at least one employee who drags herself to work - no matter how horrid she feels.
And what inevitably happens? Come 2pm she's feeling so bad, she has no other choice but to take some sick leave and go home.
But how do you go about allocating this sick leave in your employee attendance record?
Do you mark it as a half day because she left at 2pm? Or does the unwritten rule t... ››› more
- [05 October 2016]
- Three answers to the most common questions about annual leave to keep you out of the CCMA!
- As a manager or business owner, I know you've been dealing with employee's leave issues for a long time. And you probably know everything there is to know about leave.
Well, if I look at the questions I get every day, it seems a lot of employers still don't deal with leave correctly. And because of this, they end up at the CCMA.
So I want you to keep reading below to see three comm... ››› more
- [05 October 2016]
- Five cheap tricks employees play to get a day off work... And how you can put a stop to them
- I know you've heard it ALL before.... Excuses like:
'I asked my brother to phone you but he didn't'.
'I didn't have airtime and didn't have any money to buy some'.
'The taxi broke down and I only got home at 12h00, I was too tired to come to work and I woke up too late to phone'.
If you think your employee's abusing his leave, you can investigate the situation. You can even ask for pro... ››› more
- [22 September 2016]
- When doing your next HR audit, make sure your annual leave policy explains these six factors
- An HR audit, like a financial one, is something you should do at least once a year.
While this isn't common practice, auditing your entire HR system regularly is the very best way to ensure all your processes, HR policies and procedures are in line with new labour laws.
Here's what we suggest you look at when your HR audit puts the spotlight on your company's leave policy. ******** Product... ››› more
- [30 August 2016]
- What do you do if you need to cancel an employee's leave?
- William applied for leave a month ago. He assured you he'd have all his deadlines in check, and his work finished. So you approved it and he paid for his romantic week away with his fiancé.
But it's now three days before he leaves, and he's nowhere near reaching his deadline. What now?
Do you let him go away? After all, you said he could have the days off. Or do you do th... ››› more
- [25 July 2016]
- Warning: Untaken annual leave is a huge hidden expense! Here's how to manage it
- Dear reader,
Do you have employees with more than 15 days' leave owing to them? Maybe some of your employees have more than 60 days' outstanding leave?
If so, you're not managing your company leave efficiently. And these excess days could be costing your company thousands.
Here's how you to manage annual leave effectively.... ********** Advert ********
All your annual leave questions ... ››› more
- [04 July 2016]
- 2 Out of 3 employees who don't show up for work aren't actually sick!
- According to Occupational Care South Africa (OCSA), between 15% and 30% of staff can be absent on any given day. And 2 out of 3 absent employees aren't even physically ill!
Think about it. If you employ 15 people, on average, 4 people will be sick on any given day.
Yet, 3 out of those 4 people are having a 'duvet day', spa treatment, or out on a shopping spree with friends... on your time!... ››› more
- [03 May 2016]
- Is it sick leave when an employee goes to a clinic or doctor for regular check-ups?
- Here's this week's top question from the LabourandHRClub.co.za asked by one of our readers. Is it sick leave when an employee goes to a clinic or doctor for regular check-ups?
Asked on labourandhrclub
Can you share how other companies authorise paid sick leave when an employee needs to visit the clinic or doctor for routine appointments? For example, to collect medication, monthly check-ups du... ››› more
- [11 December 2015]