Absenteeism: Here's how to deal with the cheap tricks your employees play for a day off!
* You don't have to accept a traditional healer's note
* Must you grant leave for staff who attend a cultural ceremony?
* I didn't have airtime, did not know the number, didn't have any money...
Every time you think you've heard all the excuses your employees use to stay away from work, a new one crops up.
These are some of the most common tricks employees play and how you can deal with them.
Three absenteeism excuses you can penalise your employees for
: 'I went to the clinic, but they were too busy to give me a sick note. I wasn't feeling well and I didn't want to wait for nurse to write a note.'
: 'I ran out of airtime and I couldn't buy any because I didn't have money.'
: 'I had to attend my aunt's cousin's daughter's wedding ceremony in Rustenburg. I only
found out about it at the last minute.'
Find out how to penalise your employees for these excuses
7 Tips to deal with the cheap tricks your employees use to get time off
1. You don't have to accept a traditional healer's note
Often, an employee will claim he went to a traditional healer and can't give you a doctor's note. Traditional healers who are registered will have practice numbers and are able to give sick notes. You can, however, accept a sick note from a traditional healer if your office is in KwaZulu-Natal (KwaZulu Act on the Code of Zulu Law 16 of 1985). If you live outside the borders of KwaZulu-Natal, you don't have to accept a traditional healer's note.
2. Must you grant leave for staff who attend a cultural ceremony?
These are numerous and can involve lengthy time off. But, most of them are planned in advance and the employee must take annual or unpaid leave in advance.
3. Cultural reasons
Employees will often tell you cultural reasons are the reason they can't provide proof of death or birth. Insist on proof as part of your absenteeism
Click here to download the Stop Absenteeism Report now!
4. 'I went to the clinic, but they were too busy to give me a note'
Most clinics are happy to give sick certificates. Don't accept this as an excuse, particularly if the employee's job depends on it.
5. 'I asked my brother to phone you but he didn't'
If an employee's sick, he must phone you himself. If he's unconscious or really too ill, then a relative must contact you as soon as possible.
6. 'I didn't have airtime, did not know the number, didn't have any money'
Make sure your subordinates know how to contact you. If they genuinely don't have money they can send you a 'please call me'. They can't use this as an excuse.
7. 'I had to collect my drivers licence, passport, ID etc. It was too late to come to work when I was finished'
Your employees must plan these activities in advance by asking a day's paid leave.
Good luck with managing these excuses.
Until next time…
P.S. Click here to download the Stop Absenteeism Report now!