- Is your sub-contractor aware of his three legal safety obligations?
- Have a sub-contractor? If so, continue reading to find out what his three legal obligations are so you can help him to comply.
In this article, we gave you three safety obligations that your sub-contractors must adhere to. Now we're going to give you three legal obligations for your sub-contractor.
Your sub-contractor has responsibilities under the following three separate areas of law:
... ››› more
- [21 December 2016]
- 10 Appointment letters you must have in your health and safety file to stay compliant.
- Managing a construction site isn't easy. That's why you need to manage the appointment of the right staff to help you.
When the DoL comes knocking, you need to be able to prove the competency of your health and safety team members.
For every new construction project you start, you must have an up-to-date health and safety file.
Here are 10 appointment letters the Construction Regulations ... ››› more
- [19 December 2016]
- Six factors to consider when preparing your health and safety audit schedule
- Before you start your audit, you need to draft a schedule to plan how you're going to approach your audit. Here's our list of six factors you need to consider when preparing your audit schedule... Dear Reader
You know you need to conduct health and safety audits regularly. They help you identify the key problems in your Health and Safety System, check you're compliant and helps you prevent prob... ››› more
- [12 December 2016]
- What is a health and safety audit?
- This week I want to tell you all about health and safety audits, who needs them, why you have to have them, and a simple tool you can use to do your audit with the questions you need to ask in them.
But, it occurred to me you might not know exactly what I mean when I say 'audit'. So, let's start there ...
What is a health and safety audit?
The Health & Safety Advisor says 'a health and sa... ››› more
- [09 December 2016]
- Do you understand just how important conducting toolbox talks in your business actually is?
- Many employers think toolbox talks are insignificant because they're short discussions that usually last for about 15 minutes. This couldn't be further from the truth. Find out about the importance of conducting toolbox talks in your workplace.
The Occupational Health and Safety Act requires you to conduct toolbox talks in your workplace
Section 8 of the Occupational Health and Safety Act s... ››› more
- [08 December 2016]
- 7 reasons why you should conduct a health and safety audit
- You have a legal obligation to protect the health and safety of your employees. The best way to do this is to conduct a health and safety audit to identify problems in your health and safety system. This way you can prevent problems before they happen!
Let me tell you more...
No more piles of paper: use the very best available programme... ››› more
- [07 December 2016]
- Are your employees spending too much time on smoke breaks? Use these five ways to control them!
- Many employers who allow smoking in the workplace often complain about the amount of productivity that's lost because of the frequent smoke breaks employees take. What makes it worse is employees usually want company when they have a smoke. If you're faced with a similar problem in your company, there's a solution. Here are five tips you can use to control the smoke breaks your employee takes.
... ››› more
- [23 November 2016]
- Let's test your knowledge... Do you know the difference between a 16.1 and 16.2 appointment letter?
- We speak about them often enough. And by now you should know by law you have a 16.1 and 16.2 appointment. But, do you actually know what the difference is?
Warning! If the DoL finds out you haven't completed this one Health and Safety compliance requirement you'll pay thousands of rands in penalties...
Click here to discover t... ››› more
- [15 November 2016]
- Important liabilities OHS practitioners face in various legal appointments
- A company or an individual may encounter two types of liability. One type is represented by the criminal charges carrying conviction or fines, the second type is represented by the civil claims by damages.
In an analysis for Sheqafrica.com, steam legal consultant Shavanya Subramoney explained the liabilities that OHS practitioners face in various legal appointments and scopes of service.
Tod... ››› more
- [14 November 2016]
- Avoid shutdown by answering these 4 Health and Safety questions about legal appointments
- Did you know that an inspector from the Department of Labour can rock up on your doorstep, AT ANY TIME, and demand to inspect your premises?
That's right! It's completely your responsibility to provide a safe and healthy workplace for all of your employees. And if you fail to answer any of the inspector's questions, then you'll be in big trouble. In other words, he can SHUT DOWN your business! ... ››› more
- [14 November 2016]