- What's more important... Your title as Health and Safety Officer, or your responsibilities?
- Safety officer, here's five tips to educate your colleagues and managers on what you do in a health and safety capacity so they'll understand how vital it is to your business. Dear Reader
What's more important… Your title as Health and Safety Officer, or your responsibilities?
This is a question that's been plaguing one of our Health and Safety Club members. I've compiled five tips to educ... ››› more
- [09 September 2013]
- Look like a winner...Send Health & Safety reports to your board members
- What can you report monthly to your board members or manager to keep them updated on your Health and Safety performance? Dear Reader
Last week, we spoke about what your 'to do' list should look like as a Health and Safety manager in an office environment. Let's take it a step further. What can you report monthly to your board members or manager to keep them updated on your Health and Safety per... ››› more
- [26 August 2013]
- What's my job as a Health & Safety Officer?
- You may think that your daily task list isn't as full as the health and safety officer of a construction site. But think again! Thanks to the Occupational Health & Safety Act there are still plenty of the regulations that still apply to you.
We had an interesting question from one of our readers on the Health & Safety Club site and we think you might be asking yourself the very... ››› more
- [22 August 2013]
- The DoL has shut down businesses for incomplete health and safety systems... Don't let this happen to you!
- One of the many complaints I hear from our subscribers is they really want to do what's best for the health and safety of their company, and their employees, but they don't always know exactly how.
Sometimes, the problem is just beginning. Once you've got the ball rolling, you feel pretty confident that you have a grasp on all the important issues. ******************************
Your 1 527 he... ››› more
- [30 July 2013]
- Download your HSE procedures checklist NOW!
- It's common practice to put written procedures in place for your business. This'll make sure your employees follow the rules you know are necessary to maintain the health and safety of your company.
So let's take a look at what you must do to make sure your Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) procedures are easy to understand... *****************************
Fulfilling your health and safet... ››› more
- [10 July 2013]
- Warning: To be OHSA compliant, you need to appoint a health and safety representative today!
- Whether you work in an office or a steel mill, accidents are bound to happen. How do you as an employer protect yourself and your staff? Simply nodding and smiling at the health and safety inspector isn't enough! You need a health and safety representative to ensure your business doesn't fall to pieces when there's a crisis! Appointing a health and safety representative is not only a legal require... ››› more
- [10 July 2013]
- Make sure you're compiling your manual risk assessment reports... at least until you can get your hands on the Google Glass
- Google Glass is a pair of spectacles that's connected to the internet. While this sounds like fantasy has become reality for many a tech fan, it's also being tested by a workplace health and safety firm in Australia, as it's believed wearing the Google Glass could drastically improve levels of health and safety by preventing incidents - much the same way as you already do by filing risk assessment... ››› more
- [24 May 2013]
- Quick! A fire breaks out in your office - do you know what to do?
- Do you keep boxes of papers, documents, books and files lying around in your office?
These boxes can catch alight at any time because of a short circuit in one of your office plugs. Your entire building can burn down within minutes! A clear indication that it really doesn't take much to start a fire.
Are you prepared for a fire in your office? I bet you never thought of looking at these as p... ››› more
- [15 May 2013]
- Four health and safety obligations you must implement
- As a manager or employer it's your responsibility to ensure the OHSA and its procedures are carried out and maintained. Appointing a HSE rep is only one of them. I'll show you four more tasks you need to implement to ensure you meet your obligations. **********
The only DoL recognised way to train your Health and Safety Representative
If you don't have the HSE Representatives Toolkit CD, gets ... ››› more
- [19 April 2013]
- Can I prosecute my Health and Safety Representative for not fulfilling his duties?
- It's your duty as an employer to ensure your HSE Rep is properly trained to perform their duties.
But what happens when your HSE Rep fails to fulfill their duties?
Let's take a look... ******************************
Do you have more than 20 employees?
Don't ignore this health and safety obligation or else!
The DoL will slap you with a R50 000 fine or 1 year in jail if you don't have a healt... ››› more
- [17 April 2013]