- Is your business experiencing a mass exodus? Here's what you need to know about notice periods and leave to avoid a CCMA case
- An employee is entitled to annual leave, family leave, sick leave and maternity leave for women. But what happens to all that leave if they resign or if you dismiss them? Mistakes here could land you at the CCMA for violating the BCEA. Follow these rules to make sure you know exactly what to do when it comes to notice periods and leave.
... ››› more
- [20 January 2017]
- Does your annual leave policy contain this ONE glaring gap?
- Most annual leave policies are largely made up of legal annual leave entitlements. But their structure of can change from business to business. Because of this, most annual leave policies neglect to include ONE very important part. Read on to make sure your annual leave policy doesn't have a big hole in it.
All your annual leave questions answered!
... ››› more
- [05 January 2017]
- Does an employee have to disclose her pregnancy when applying for a job?
- One question that always crops up when it comes to maternity leave matters is whether or not employees or job applicants should disclose that they're pregnant when applying for a job. Read on to find out what labour law says about this so you can avoid a court battle.
An employee DOES NOT have to disclose her pregnancy when applying for a job
The Labour Law for Managers Loose Leaf Service e... ››› more
- [19 October 2016]
- Take caution when denying a man maternity leave! Here's why
- Traditionally speaking, maternity leave was something that only women enjoyed. But in today's day and age, that understanding is very outdated! And you as employers need to keep up-to-date! Because if you don't, you could be facing and claim of unfair discrimination the next time you want to deny a man maternity leave.
To help you understand this more, take a look at the following case... *****... ››› more
- [25 August 2016]
- Survey finds: Women are afraid to ask about maternity leave during job interviews. Here's how to address this topic to avoid losing top talent
- We're living in the 21st century right, women are independent and they're breaking glass ceilings.
Surely all this means is that workplaces are more progressive and women don't have to worry about asking for maternity leave benefits even when applying for jobs. After all, having a career doesn't mean putting off motherhood.
A recent survey has found that women are afraid to ask abo... ››› more
- [13 July 2016]
- News: Paternity leave may be of great societal interest. But could it pose difficult labour issues?
- According to a recent article on BD Live, experts say that if fathers can play a larger role in rearing their children, then it can benefit society in many ways - and paternity leave can help do this. In addition, getting fathers more involved can help to achieve true gender equality – according to The State of the World's Fathers report.
Wessel van den Berg of Sonke Gender Justice says that... ››› more
- [15 October 2015]
- Do you know what requirements male employees must meet to qualify for maternity leave?
- While it may have been traditionally accepted that female employees were the only ones who were entitled to maternity leave, it doesn't seem to be the case anymore as male employees, same-sex partners, surrogate parents, and so on, have been taken into the framework too.
Times have changed, and so you, as the employer, must take note of all those changes which could very well land you in the ho... ››› more
- [06 October 2015]
- Case law: Maternity leave for men
- Many think of 'maternity leave' as a privilege only enjoyed by pregnant female employees.
But it would appear that this understanding is not necessarily that straightforward. Case: Mia v State Information Technology Agency (Pty) Ltd
In the case of Mia v State Information Technology Agency (Pty) Ltd, the employee and his same-sex partner were in a civil union together.
They entered into a su... ››› more
- [06 October 2015]
- You don't have to pay for maternity leave. But these are your options if you decide to pay...
- You don't have to pay your employee while she's on maternity leave.
The BCEA only requires that you give your pregnant employee at least four consecutive months' maternity leave. It's at your company's discretion to pay all, or a portion of, the employee's salary during maternity leave.
But if you decide to pay for maternity leave, these are your options...
Mat... ››› more
- [07 September 2015]
- Can you retrench an employee while she's on maternity leave?
- You own a clothing company that has been facing financial difficulties for months. As a result, you have to retrench a number of employees. But you have a slight problem...
One of the employees you need to retrench is on maternity leave. Her name is Mary. Can you retrench Mary while she's on maternity leave?
The answer is: Yes! You can. Let me elaborate...
You can to retrench an employee ... ››› more
- [30 July 2015]