- Four performance management activities to make your job easier
- I had some very interesting discussions with a client over the past month about the challenges of managing performance. He was complaining that it's very time intensive to stand over each of his employees, checking they're doing their job. He isn't getting his own work done and he's getting more and more despondent as time goes on.
Luckily for my client there is help at hand and we're implemen... ››› more
- [24 January 2017]
- How to make the probation period work for you
- So your new employee isn't the right person for the job. What do you do now? It's simple, use his probation period to assess his performance ability and suitability for the job. Here's how you can make probation work for you and what to do if your employee's not up to standard.
The Labour Law for Managers Loose Leaf Service explains that a probation period is a length of time you use to check i... ››› more
- [06 December 2016]
- Three reasons employees dislike performance appraisals and how you can change this to your advantage....
- It's no secret... Most employees dislike performance appraisals.
The thought of going through the process makes them nervous, and question if they're performing. They just dread the whole thing and want to get it over and done with.
But, have you ever wondered why employees dislike performance appraisals? Keep reading to find out three reasons employees dislike performance appraisals and h... ››› more
- [29 November 2016]
- What's the difference between a job profile and a job description?
- Did you know there's a big difference between a job profile and a job description? Read on to find out what the difference is so you can get the most out of your employees.
It's up to you to ensure your employees know what's expected of them.
The starting point in doing this is having a good understanding of job profiles and job descriptions.
The difference between a job profile and a j... ››› more
- [23 November 2016]
- Five important performance management tasks you can't neglect
- Performance management is more than just a process to document and deliver feedback, coaching and ratings. When you go beyond the basics, it becomes a powerful tool to help employees develop and achieve their full potential, and improve productivity within your company.
Follow these five tasks as part of your performance management process...
Three easy steps t... ››› more
- [20 October 2016]
- The one performance management mistake most sales managers make
- As a sales manager, it's important for you to effectively manage performance in the workplace, so as to prevent any poor performers from sprouting into existence. And one of the best ways to do this is to set performance standards for all your sales staff.
These performance standards will more than likely be in the form of specific targets, usually quantitative and numerical - which are perfect... ››› more
- [18 May 2016]
- Use this system to effectively align your employees' goals and see increased performance
- An important part of performance management is optimising your employee's performance by correctly aligning their goals to their current positions without losing sight of the company's bigger picture.
But this is easier said than done...
Your employee's goals should provide clarity up front in terms of what's expected of her, what the result should be and what criteria will be used in measur... ››› more
- [15 February 2016]
- Use these 2 types of developmental goals in correctly aligning your employees' goals to their current jobs
- Performance management involves optimising your employees' performance by correctly aligning their goals to their current positions. This should all be done without losing sight of the company's bigger picture.
Having said that, there are great tactics you can use in ensuring that goals are aligned correctly.
One of them has to do with including developmental goals.
Now, there are two typ... ››› more
- [08 February 2016]
- Don't wait until the last minute to monitor your employee's performance...
- The last quarter of the year is here...
Can you believe it? And before you blink it's for you to look at your employees' performance. And probably look at bonuses and increases too.
And the best way to do this is with a performance review... So let's see which type of review suits
***Highly recommended product***
Show that poor performer the door without landing yo... ››› more
- [11 December 2015]
- Four examples on setting performance standards for your employees
- Do you want to dismiss an employee whose performance, in your view, isn't satisfactory? In other words, her performance isn't good enough.
Well then, before you do so, there are a number of things you should consider before doing so, and one of those things has to do with 'performance standards'.
You, as the employer, are entitled to set performance standards for your employees. But which ar... ››› more
- [26 October 2015]