- 13 Ways to protect your employees' information and stay on the right side of POPI
- Just as you have a right to protect your company's privacy, so your employees have a right to privacy too. And since the President signed the Protection of Personal Information Bill (POPI) last month, you now have a legal duty to protect your employees' information!
Here are the top 13 ways you can keep your employee's information safe and sound...
The 13 best ways to protect your employee'... ››› more
- [31 March 2017]
- POPI requires an employee's consent for you to gather personal information! Here's how to get it
- According to the Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act, as well as the Protection from Harassment Act, you're required to protect your employees' data and personal information.
In other words, you have to control the way you process all personal information. If you don't, it will lead to fines of much as R10 million or even imprisonment! So it's important for you to comply.
When it c... ››› more
- [11 May 2016]
- Use these 4 methods to protect your employees' personal information
- We live in a day and age where data security is of the utmost importance. This is especially true because we live in a technological age where cybercrime ('hacking') is rife (It's one of the fastest growing types of crime in the world).
And, according to the Protection from Harassment Act as well as the Protection of Personal Information Act, you must protect your HR Data at all costs.
Let's... ››› more
- [11 April 2016]
- Use these 6 steps to ensure employee compliance with POPI
- By law, you have to protect your employees' personal information. This is required under the Protection from Harassment Act as well as the Protection of Personal Information POPI) Act.
Under these laws, you must be careful when processing your employees' information so as to protect it.
Failure to do so can see you paying fines of up to R10 million or even having to serve jail time!
And w... ››› more
- [08 November 2015]
- News: Government has released cyber-crimes Bill draft for comment. Read on and help protect your business's data from theft
- As reported on the Mail and Guardian, South Africa is very prone to cyber-attacks.
Not only is there effective 'requirement' for companies to make known breaches within systems, but there are also no real paths for victims to follow in pursuing these crimes.
Overall, the economy could be at risk.
In today's age of technology, cyber-crimes are a reality which must be dealt with seriously... ››› more
- [14 October 2015]
- News: The POPI Act may have some serious negative effects on small businesses
- The Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act, which was signed into law on 27th November 2013, and whose effective date is yet to be determined, is intended to protect personal information and, in so doing, enable South African companies to do business overseas in accordance with global data laws - which will in turn have a very positive spin-off effect.
But, according to some experts, it ... ››› more
- [14 October 2015]
- Do you know why the POPI Act was introduced?
- The Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act will be coming into effect soon. It sets out to keep a close eye on all personal information out there.
Such information includes contact details (emails and telephone numbers), histories (medical and criminal histories) and biometric data.
POPI is important as it will create transparency with regard to how all personal information is used.... ››› more
- [06 September 2015]