- Retrenching? Do these five things to reduce potential problems
- You must deal with the retrenchment process properly.
The nature of this dismissal makes things tough for you from the start.
There's bound to be some resistance when you dismiss employees for operational reasons and not because they've done something wrong. Your employees and their representatives will scrutinise your every move and WILL challenge you if they believe you're... ››› more
- [09 January 2017]
- Retrenchment letters could land you in trouble at the CCMA if you don't get it right!
- Retrenchment letters are a hot topic at the CCMA right now! The CCMA says cases involving retrenchment increased in the first four months of this year and were considerably ahead of the number referred to the CCMA in the previous period. If your company's planning to retrench, it's crucial that you ensure your employee's notice of retrenchment letter contains all the required details. One wrong mo... ››› more
- [26 October 2016]
- 4 situations in which you may want to retrench
- Your company has come to a point where you're considering to terminate many of your employees' contracts. You've taken a look at things from an 'operational' point of view and you strongly feel that your company simply can't continue the way it is.
If this is you, then you may be looking at retrenching your employees.
But before you go ahead and retrench employees, you've got to make sure ... ››› more
- [21 April 2016]
- Follow this important tip when considering who to retrench
- Your business is under a lot of pressure, and in order to survive you strongly believe that the best decision will be to retrench employees.
When looking into retrenchments, there are some questions you'll need to ask yourself beforehand. And 1 of those questions has to do with the selection process you'll use in determining which employees to retrench.
You would more than likely opt for an ... ››› more
- [23 November 2015]
- Be a step ahead! Know these union tactics so they don't disrupt your retrenchment
- Union officials have been known to come up with delaying tactics that try to stall and ultimately avoid retrenchments.
But you need to take the upper-hand and know what these tactics are! By doing so, you can take any counter- measures into consideration.
Here are four delaying tactics that unions are known for doing when it comes to retrenchment exercises:
1. Unions often bring up alte... ››› more
- [30 August 2015]
- The little-known clause lurking in the BCEA that affects how you pay severance pay...
- Why am I telling you this? Because it's important when you're working out severance pay and you have to keep an employee's full length of service in mind.
The Basic Conditions of Employment Act (BCEA) basically says you have to take the employee's full length of service into account when working out severance pay. And if there's a break in service for less than a year, you must take this into a... ››› more
- [29 July 2015]
- Are you thinking of retrenching to reduce salary costs? You don't have to...
- Do you need to reduce employee costs? Are you thinking of retrenchments, but still need to keep certain employees? There's another option! Why not reduce your employee's working hours instead by implementing short-time. Here's everything you need to know about short-time.
Do you need to reduce employee costs? Are you thinking of retrenchments, but still need to keep certain employees? There's a... ››› more
- [13 July 2015]
- Eskom is offering their staff voluntary retrenchment. Here's how you can do it legally if you're in the same boat
- Eskom's in BIG trouble.
Not only is it battling to keep the lights on, but its last weeks' interim results show profits are down as well.
According to Reuters, Eskom's net profit fell by 24% to R9.3 billion in the six months to end-September. And it forecast a 93% decline in full-year net profit to R500 million.
To deal with its financial problems, Eskom is now offering its staff voluntar... ››› more
- [02 December 2014]
- If, like AngloGold Ashanti, you're retrenching make sure you follow your legal severance pay obligations
- According to Business Day, AngloGold Ashanti (AGA) has become the third gold miner in recent months to start talks with unions and employees on retrenchments, against a backdrop of weakening gold prices and rising costs.
Last month, Sibanye Gold said it was holding talks about potential retrenchments at its Cooke 4 shaft and, in August, Harmony Gold put its Target 3 operation on care and mainte... ››› more
- [13 November 2014]
- Your seven step guide to implementing retrenchments legally
- South Africa's economy is struggling to grow.
Earlier this week, Statistics South Africa revealed that the country's Gross Domestic Product (GDP) increased by 0.6% in the second quarter of 2014.
We may have narrowly escaped recession, but the economy remains weak. Companies aren't coping and many are resorting to retrenchment to stay afloat.
If you're one of these companies, it's importa... ››› more
- [29 August 2014]