- Retrenchment letters could land you in trouble at the CCMA if you don't get it right!
- Retrenchment letters are a hot topic at the CCMA right now! The CCMA says cases involving retrenchment increased in the first four months of this year and were considerably ahead of the number referred to the CCMA in the previous period. If your company's planning to retrench, it's crucial that you ensure your employee's notice of retrenchment letter contains all the required details. One wrong mo... ››› more
- [26 October 2016]
- Do you know what to include in your notice letter of retrenchment? Find out here
- You DON'T have to reach an agreement during consultation in order to retrench. But you must ensure you consulted properly and used up all possible alternatives.
If you do happen to reach an agreement, then put all the details in a written agreement, signed by yourself and the union (in the case you were consulting with a union).
But if you don't reach, you can still go ahead with the retre... ››› more
- [19 October 2015]
- Nine things you MUST include in your notice of retrenchment letter
- Retrenchments aren't easy for anyone.
Not only do you need to be sensitive, but, you need to implement them properly for them to be legal. This includes issuing a notice of retrenchment letter to your employees.
If you fail to do this, you could find yourself at the Labour Court. And this doesn't come cheap - defending a retrenchment case costs a lot of money. You may even end up in a worse... ››› more
- [13 August 2014]
- Stop! You can't just retrench a fixed-term employee!
- As an employer, you know you have the right to retrench employees. But you probably didn't know it's completely different when it comes to a fixed-term employee... You can't just retrench fixed term employees! But if you include a clause in the contract saying you can end the contract before it expires because of operational requirements, you can. Let's look at a case to see what could happen if y... ››› more
- [21 January 2014]
- Consider these three retrenchment alternatives before you follow Amplats' example
- This morning, Anglo American Platinum announced it'll retrench 6,900 employees. According to media reports, the company has concluded talks with unions and the Department of Mineral Resources to restructure the company. While the company has cited operational reasons for the move, there are things you can do to avoid retrenchments. Read on to find out what they are so you can implement them if you... ››› more
- [20 August 2013]
- Retrenchment letters! Do you know what to include in your retrenchment letters to employees?
- Last year Anglo American Platinum announced its plan to cut 6 000 jobs instead of the 14 000 it predicted. Did Anglo American Platinum issue legally correct retrenchment letters to their employees? Why did Anglo American Platinum decide to send retrenchment letters to their employees?
Should your company find itself in the same situation, it's important your company's retrenchment process is pr... ››› more
- [13 May 2013]