- Your Health and Safety Representative has resigned. Include these seven elements in his hand-over plan
- When your Health and Safety Representative suddenly resigns, you need to have a clear and detailed hand-over plan in place.
That way, your next elected Safety Representative knows exactly what's required of him. And the transition won't hurt your productivity.
Read on for seven essential elements to include in his Safety Rep hand-over plan...
Fulfilling ... ››› more
- [15 May 2017]
- Does your Health and Safety Representative perform these five key tasks?
- As an employer you know it's key to improve the health and safety of your workplace. But important tasks can be overlooked or forgotten, and this is why you need a health and safety representative.
Here are five tasks a health and safety representative (HSE rep) should do to keep your workplace safe! **************
The only DoL recognised guide to select your Health and Safety Representative
... ››› more
- [07 April 2017]
- If you don't listen to your health and safety representative, your risk assessment is doomed to fail
- As the boss, you know what's best for your company. No one else can make the important decisions about money, products and investment.
But when it comes to health and safety, you might need some help. The fact that you sit in your office and don't see what your employees do means you don't know what'll protect them best.
This is why you need to involve your health and safety representative.... ››› more
- [09 March 2017]
- Is there a difference between a Health and Safety Rep and a Health and Safety Officer?
- Do you know there's a distinct difference between a 'Health and Safety Representative' and a 'Health and Safety Officer'? Read on to find out what the difference is...
We use the terms 'Health and Safety Representative' and a 'Health and Safety Officer' loosely, but do you know there's a distinct difference between the two? You need to know what the difference is as they perform different functi... ››› more
- [11 October 2016]
- Do you even know what a Health and Safety Rep is and why you should have one?
- I write to you daily about all sorts of health and safety issues and topics. And I know sometimes I throw around a lot of terms quite loosely...
Like health and safety rep...
And it occurred to me, some readers may be new to my daily bulletin. And some may be new to their health and safety position. Some may even be small business owners who are just learning about health and safety laws they ar... ››› more
- [30 September 2016]
- Make sure your Health and Safety Agreement contains these 2 important elements
- If you have 20 or more employees, you must meet with your employees' representatives to discuss certain areas of the law and draw up a Health and Safety Agreement, after which you must implement it.
This agreement helps set up and manage the health and safety communication structures in your workplace (by using your Health and Safety Representatives and Committees).
Now, when drawing up your... ››› more
- [22 April 2016]
- 3 Simple Steps to ensure your Health and Safety Representatives comply with the OHSA
- By now you know that a DoL inspector can demand to inspect your workplace, without prior notice, to see if you're fully compliant with all relevant labour legislation.
This includes him checking to see that your Health and Safety Representatives, as well as your Health and Safety Committees, are compliant with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).
So that's good to know, but how can... ››› more
- [13 April 2016]
- Your four duties with Health and Safety Committees
- A health and safety committee is a forum for discussing health and safety issues.
They are held between health and safety representatives and management representatives.
The purpose of the committee is to initiate, develop, maintain, promote and review the health and safety programme.
Now, there are four duties that you as the employer have when it comes to health and safety committees.
... ››› more
- [21 September 2015]
- Your health and safety representatives are entitled to seven things. Do you know what they are?
- A health and safety representative is an employee who is chosen by other employees to represent them on issues relating to health and safety.
If you have more than 20 employees, you must designate a health and safety representative in writing.
She must be appointed within four months of the business opening.
If you have a health and safety representative for your business, then it is worth... ››› more
- [21 September 2015]
- Why you need to hold a toolbox talk on HSE Reps and PPE
- When it comes to Health and Safety Representatives and personal protective equipment (PPE), the list of regulations is immense.
And you need to make sure your employees respect and know all the rules. You need to check all aspects in your Health and Safety department and ensure everyone is obeying the rules!
Here's what to cover in your toolbox talk on these topics...
First of all, Health... ››› more
- [10 June 2015]