Use these 4 internal controls to prevent payroll fraud
If your business manages its own payroll, then your payroll is at risk of falling victim to errors, and even fraud!
The four major examples of payroll fraud include:
· Timesheet fraud: When an employee says they've worked more hours than they say they have, and you pay them for this;
· Ghost employees: When an employee adds false employees to the payroll. This then leads to fictitious salaries being paid to 'employees' who don't even work for you:
· False expense claims: When employees submit false or unapproved expense claims; and
· Changes to bank account details: When an employee changes bank account details for another employee's benefit.
Now, having said, here are 4 internal controls you can make use of in preventing payroll fraud from affecting you:
Internal control#1: Split duties between the person doing the monthly processing and the person doing the salary payments
If someone can adjust the salaries to benefit themselves, or pay incorrect amounts into their personal bank accounts and commit fraud, you
then have an internal weakness.
You should split the payroll function and payment function in two, and ensure that these two people don't work together to commit fraud.
Internal control#2: Bring about processes for change and adjustment to payroll systems
It's important to note that every change leaves a paper trail, so save all changes electronically on your hard drive as well as your backup drive.
Also, introduce templates to use for any changes to the payroll system.
Internal control#3: Implement checks and cross-checks to ensure the calculations are done correctly
Review and sign off the staff variance report which shows the variances between staff members from month to month.
Most payroll systems have reports you can print and check on a monthly basis. Do this for every month starting now.
Internal control#4: Reconcile actual bank account payments to the payroll system on a monthly basis
Always do a salary account reconciliation. To do this, check your control against what you've paid out.
How much time do you spend looking for useful tax information? Do you need all the South African taxes analysed and explained in one easy location?
Now you can have all the information in one place: The Practical Tax Loose Leaf Service.
Over 500 pages compiled by our tax experts, comprising of:
• All the definitions and legal regulations, useful advice, exceptions to the rules that help you slip through the legislative jungle of taxes.
· Case studies and practical examples that show you what elements you should consider for your taxes to be perfect.
· Red flags you need to watch out for and the penalties you'll face if you don't respect them.
· Sample templates at your disposal, ready to be filled in, customised and printed.
You will also get free access to the accountingandtaxclub.co.za. Here you'll find questions and answers on any tax and accounting issues. You can also ask our experts a tax question
Get your copy of the Practical Tax Loose Leaf Service
Note: 5 of 1 vote