HomeHome SearchSearch MenuMenu Our productsOur products

Here's what to do if you need to submit a claim for injury compensation

by , 03 June 2014
If your employee's injured, you can't just tell the compensation commissioner to hand over the money. He has to examine the claim and decide if the Compensation Fund will pay it or not.

You need to hand over certain information for the commissioner to do this. The commissioner won't be able to make any decisions without it and your employee won't get the help he needs.

Here's what you'll need to do to ensure the commissioner deals with your claim quickly.


Here's what to do when claiming from the Compensation Fund

According to the Health and Safety Advisor, the first step to claiming from the Compensation Fund is to ask your employee for all the information you can possibly get.  This supporting information includes doctor's or EMT reports. 
Once you have this information, you must submit it to the commissioner within seven days of beginning the claim process.
Your employee must have an examination from a doctor you, the Director General or the medical association chooses. The Director General will pay the doctor directly for this examination. It's your responsibility to arrange for the examination to happen at another time and place if your employee can't get to the doctor. 
If your employee wants his own doctor at the examination too, he has to pay for that cost. 
But how long do you have to do all of this?
Do you want to be fined, jailed or have a criminal record for life?
If an accident occurs in your workplace, and the person dies, you could be charged with culpable homicide, charged penalties of R100 000 or 2 years in jail! The CEO or Owner of a company is personally accountable for health and safety at work. 

The amount of time you have to claim injury compensation

The Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act says you have 12 months to claim for injury or accident compensation. The commissioner will consider the claim if you submit it in time and you have reported the accident.  
So there you have it. That's the process you'll need to follow to claim compensation if an employee has an accident at work.

Vote article

Here's what to do if you need to submit a claim for injury compensation
Note: 5 of 1 vote

Related articles

Related articles

Related Products