HomeHome SearchSearch MenuMenu Our productsOur products

If you have a office cleaner or security guard, you must stick to these three COID duties or else!

by , 15 April 2014
You're responsible for all workers. This includes contractors on your site like cleaners and security guards. If you don't have an agreement in writing with your contractors about the Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases (COID) Fund registration or tariffs, you'll be held responsible for any injuries. To make sure this doesn't happen, do these three things to protect yourself if you have contractors working for you.


Do you know when to claim from COID? Shocking survey reveals 5 out of 7 managers don't!

Discover what your company can claim for today...


Do these three things to cover yourself with COID if you have contractors working for you

#1: The Health & Safety Advisor says before you hire contractors, ask for their COID registration number or a copy of their COID Letter of Good Standing;

#2: Keep this document in your Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) file for that contractor, along with any other documents. This includes documents about an employee's fitness for work, letters from doctors and training records.

#3: Always have a valid (current) COID registration or Letter of Good Standing for your contractors on file in case one of the contractor's workers is injured.


Take this quick quiz to find out if you can handle the DoL hot seat

  • Which risk assessments have to be checked by an approved inspector every two years?
  • Is it absolutely necessary for your company to appoint and train someone as a risk assessor?
  • When was the last time you did a risk assessment? (Is that too long?)
  • Have you checked and double checked the less obvious health hazards?

If you can't answer even one of these questions you're not only putting your employee's lives at risk; you're also putting yourself in danger of massive fine from the DoL.

Don't wait until it's too late.

Learn how to do your risk assessments correctly here.


In addition to obeying your three COID duties, make sure you keep these documents for five years:

  • Return of Earnings;
  • Assessments from the Commissioner;
  • Copies of the Letter of Good Standing given to you from the Commissioner and from your contractors;
  • Claims that have been made to the Commissioner for injured workers;
  • Payments made to employees from the Commissioner (if possible);
  • Database of reported injuries; and
  • A trend analysis of all injuries, including first aid-treated injuries.

The bottom line: If you have outside contractors working for your company, such as, cleaners, security, electricians and plumbers, make sure they' reregistered with COID. If you don't do this, you'll be held responsible for their injuries.

Related articles

Related articles

Related Products

Recommended for You 

  Quick Tax Solutions for Busy Taxpayers – 35 tax answers at a glance

Here are all the most interesting, thought-provoking and common tax questions
asked by our subscribers over the last tax year – everything from A to Z!

To download Quick Tax Solutions for Busy Taxpayers – 35 tax answers at a glance click here now >>>
  Employees always sick? How to stop it today

Make sure you develop a leave policy to regulate sick leave in your company.

BONUS! You'll find an example of the leave policy and procedure in this report.

To download Employees always sick? How to stop it today click here now >>>
  Absenteeism: Little known ways to reduce absenteeism

This FREE e-report will tell you how you can reduce absenteeism in your workplace while avoiding the CCMA and without infringing your employees' labour rights.

To download Absenteeism: Little known ways to reduce absenteeism click here now >>>
  7 Health & safety strategies to save you thousands

Don't let a health and safety incident cost you one more cent. Implement these seven
strategies in your company today.

To download 7 Health & safety strategies to save you thousands click here now >>>