HomeHome SearchSearch MenuMenu Our productsOur products

If you have contractors working for you, here's what must you do in terms of COID

by , 02 June 2015
Let's assume you have outside contractors working for your company, such as cleaners, security, electricians, plumbers etc. When it comes to safety regulations, you know that they must also be registered with COID.

But what is your responsibility when it comes to this?

Let's take a look.

Before you hire contractors, ask for their COID registration number and a copy of their COID letter of good standing from the Commissioner

This document must be kept in a file for that contractor, along with any other documents required under the OHSA Section 37.

Moreover, keep in mind that your company can be held liable for claims In case the contractor's workers get injured or contract an occupational disease, the contracting company must process the COID claim.

But be warned: If the contractor isn't registered or hasn't paid its tariff, your company will be held liable for their claims.

 *********** Recommended For You ***************

COID rejects 80% of all claims! Will it reject yours?

Take this quiz to find out if your claim will be rejected


Here's when you need to pay COID your contribution tariff

You must submit your statement of earnings (salaries/wages) that has been paid to all employees (temporary and permanent) before 31st March every year (Section 82.1 of OHSA). The statement of earnings must be from 1st March of the previous year to end February of the current year.

Your Human Resources person responsible for paying salaries and wages will have the correct information regarding earnings.

If you submit a statement of earnings and your actual earnings are more than what you have stated, you will pay a 10% fine on the difference between the actual amount and the amount submitted.

If you start your business after the last day of February, you must send an estimate of your earnings (for the balance of that year) to the Compensation Commissioner within seven days of starting your business (Section 82.2).

If you're starting more than one class of business, or if you're starting your business in more than one place, you must send separate estimates to the Compensation Commissioner (Section 82.2). For example, you have a construction company based in Mpumalanga and you also have a retail shop selling clothing based in Cape Town. These fall into different categories, in different locations and the Commissioner wants separate estimates for each. If you don't comply, you are guilty of a criminal offence (Section 82.6).

Vote article

If you have contractors working for you, here's what must you do in terms of COID
Note: 5 of 1 vote

Related articles

Related articles

Related Products