HomeHome SearchSearch MenuMenu Our productsOur products

If your employee breaks his hand at work, here's how to report it

by , 03 July 2014
You have the duty to protect your employees from accidents and injuries. You also have a duty to help them claim compensation if they injure themselves at work.

This applies to serious, life-threatening or fatal injuries AND non-fatal ones. So even if your employee hits his hand with a hammer and breaks it, you need to help him claim.

Read on to discover how to report a non-fatal accident to the Compensation Commissioner...

*********** Advertisement ************
Do you know when to claim from COID? Shocking survey reveals 5 out of 7 managers don't! 

Non-fatal accidents follow the same rules as fatal ones

If you need to report a workplace accident to the Compensation Fund, you'll follow the same procedure whether it's fatal or not.
This means you still have to fill in either a:
- W.CL.1 for a workplace illness; or
- W.CL.2 for a workplace injury.
You must also remember to report any incident that results in:
1. Medical expenses; and
2. Your employee missing more than three days of work.
With those two COID rules and the right COID form in hand, you can begin the reporting process...
*********** Product endorsement  ************
You must always have first aid kits available in your workplace
And your first aid kits must be kept stocked with items on the list from the COID Act and the General Safety Regulations Annexure.

Report an incident to the Commissioner in just five steps

According to the Health and Safety Advisor you can report any incident to the Compensation Fund in just five steps. You must:
1. Fill in part A of your W.CL.2. You can get this from a labour centre or www.labour.gov.co.za;
2. Tear off and give part B of the W.CL.2 to your employee's doctor for him to complete;
3. Send part A to the compensation fund as soon as possible. You don't need to wait for the doctor's section;
4. Ensure you employee gets  him compensation pay (This in normally for the first three months after his injury); and
5. Send the follow-up form, W.CL4, or First Medical Report as soon as you get it from the doctor.
As you can see, it's that simple to report a non-fatal injury and get compensation for your employee.

Related articles

Related articles

Related Products

Recommended for You 

  Quick Tax Solutions for Busy Taxpayers – 35 tax answers at a glance

Here are all the most interesting, thought-provoking and common tax questions
asked by our subscribers over the last tax year – everything from A to Z!

To download Quick Tax Solutions for Busy Taxpayers – 35 tax answers at a glance click here now >>>
  Employees always sick? How to stop it today

Make sure you develop a leave policy to regulate sick leave in your company.

BONUS! You'll find an example of the leave policy and procedure in this report.

To download Employees always sick? How to stop it today click here now >>>
  Absenteeism: Little known ways to reduce absenteeism

This FREE e-report will tell you how you can reduce absenteeism in your workplace while avoiding the CCMA and without infringing your employees' labour rights.

To download Absenteeism: Little known ways to reduce absenteeism click here now >>>
  7 Health & safety strategies to save you thousands

Don't let a health and safety incident cost you one more cent. Implement these seven
strategies in your company today.

To download 7 Health & safety strategies to save you thousands click here now >>>