HomeHome SearchSearch MenuMenu Our productsOur products

Is a car accident an 'injury on duty' if my company supplies the transport?

by , 31 July 2014
Imagine you hire a cab or shuttle service to transport your employees to and from a training session away from your office.

On the way back from the training there's a terrible car accident. Three of your employees have serious injuries because of this. Now they can't work for a month and this means they're going to lose a lot of money.

This is when you start wondering if this accident counts as an injury on duty (IOD) and if COID will pay for it. Today, we're here to answer that question.

*********** Hot off the press  ************
COID rejects 80% of all claims! Will it reject yours?
Take this quiz to find out if your claim will be rejected

This is what 'on duty' means to COID

As far as the Compensation for Occupational Injury and Disease Act (COIDA) is concerned your employee is 'on duty' if:
- He's on company property; or
- He's acting in terms of his employment.
Anything outside of that doesn't count as an OID. This is why COID won't pay if your employee has a car accident, in his own car on his way to or from work. He isn't on duty at this time so he won't get workers compensation.
But let's look at the scenario above.

Will COID pay for car accident injuries if your company supplied the transport?

Yes, they will. Because you hired the transport, for that time, the car is company property. This means, while your employee is in the car, he's on company property and therefore on duty.
On top of that, the employees were acting in terms of their employment when they went to this training. This also means they were on duty when the accident happened.
For these two reasons you can claim workers' compensation from COID for an accident like this. You must just be able to prove your company supplied the transport, so keep records such as invoices to prove you hired the cab service.
*********** Top rated product  ***************
Can an HSE officer do induction training?
According to the OHSA, you must do induction training for new employees, external contract workers, even employees returning from maternity leave. And every time there's new legislation, or if you have a new safety process or equipment.
It sounds like you could be doing induction every month! And who has the time to create proper training material? And ensure its correct?
So, I did some research to see what Induction training is available to make your job easier.

Vote article

Is a car accident an 'injury on duty' if my company supplies the transport?
Note: 5 of 1 vote

Related articles

Related articles

Related Products