HomeHome SearchSearch MenuMenu Our productsOur products

Please help: How do I report an IOD to the Compensation Commissioner?

by , 24 April 2014
Many employers know the Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases (COID) Fund is there to compensate for employees who've been injured or who've contracted an illness at work. But only a few know how to go about reporting these work injuries. The number of questions our experts get regarding the procedure for reporting an Injury on Duty (IOD) is proof of this. Find out how to report an IOD to the Compensation Commissioner.


COID rejects 80% of all claims! Will it reject yours?

Take this quiz to find out if your claim will be rejected


Before we get to how to report an injury, let's look out what an IOD is

An IOD is a work-related injury that happens at work and as a direct result of the duties assigned to the specific job position.

The Health & Safety Advisor says you're legally required to report an IOD to the Commissioner if:

  • It's serious enough to warrant three days away from work;
  • It requires treatment by a doctor (medical practitioner); or
  • It'll incur medical expenses.

So how do you ago about reporting an IOD?


Three tips to get your employees to comply with health and safety laws

Employees think that safety is something 'management' must do. They're wrong. Employees also have duties to comply with the OHS Act.

It's your responsibility to make sure your employees comply. Don't know how to do it?

Here's how…


Follow this procedure to report an IOD to the Compensation Commissioner

  • Download the form W.CL. 2 form from the Department of Labour's website.
  • Complete the form. Your HR department can help you with this or you can ask the medical practitioner or nurse who examined your employee to help you to complete the form;
  • Submit the form to COID within seven days of finding out about the injury; and
  • Attach any medical documents or other documents that'll help the Commissioner make a decision about compensation.

Now that you know how to report an IOD to the Compensation Commissioner, make sure you comply. Remember, failure to report all your accidents to COID can result in harsh penalties.

Vote article

Please help: How do I report an IOD to the Compensation Commissioner?
Note: 5 of 1 vote

Related articles

Related articles

Related Products