HomeHome SearchSearch MenuMenu Our productsOur products

To object when the Commissioner rejects your employee's COID claim, there's one thing you can do

by , 02 October 2014
When you submit a claim to COID for injury compensation for your employee, there's always a chance the Commissioner will reject it.

This could mean you have to cover the compensation yourself.

Don't worry though, this isn't something you have to simply accept. You can object the Commissioner's decision.

Here's what you can do...


Here's what you must do to object if the Commissioner rejects your claim

If you're a member of a trade union or an employers' organisation and the Commissioner's decision affects you, you can lodge an objection against the decision within 180 days (COIDA Section 91.1).
The presiding officer will consider your objection in consultation with two assessors: One assessor represents you and the other represents your employee (COIDA Section 91.2a). If necessary, the presiding officer can consult with and ask assistance from a medical assessor (COIDA Section 91.2b).
If the assessors don't agree with the presiding officer, the matter will go to the Supreme Court for a decision (COIDA Section 91.3b).
Here's what the Court will assess the appeal on.
*********** Reader's choice  ***************
COID rejects 80% of all claims! Will it reject yours?

Here's how the Supreme Court will assess your appeal

If you want to appeal against this decision, you must apply to any provincial or local division of the Supreme Court. The Court will consider the following criteria (COIDA Section 91.5):
  • Interpretation of the Act or any other law;
  • The question of whether an accident or occupational disease causing disablement or death of any employee happened because of serious and wilful misconduct;
  • Whether the amount of compensation he awarded was too much or too little; and
  • The right to increased compensation.
When you lodge your objection and, until a court makes its decision, the original decision by the presiding officer still stands. In other words, your employee won't get any payments during this time (COIDA Section 91.6).
The Supreme Courts decision is final so, if they up hold the original decision, there's nothing else you can do. 
The best thing to do is to be honest in your original claim and get the decision you want the first time round to avoid all of this. 

Related articles

Related articles

Related Products

Recommended for You 

  Quick Tax Solutions for Busy Taxpayers – 35 tax answers at a glance

Here are all the most interesting, thought-provoking and common tax questions
asked by our subscribers over the last tax year – everything from A to Z!

To download Quick Tax Solutions for Busy Taxpayers – 35 tax answers at a glance click here now >>>
  Employees always sick? How to stop it today

Make sure you develop a leave policy to regulate sick leave in your company.

BONUS! You'll find an example of the leave policy and procedure in this report.

To download Employees always sick? How to stop it today click here now >>>
  Absenteeism: Little known ways to reduce absenteeism

This FREE e-report will tell you how you can reduce absenteeism in your workplace while avoiding the CCMA and without infringing your employees' labour rights.

To download Absenteeism: Little known ways to reduce absenteeism click here now >>>
  7 Health & safety strategies to save you thousands

Don't let a health and safety incident cost you one more cent. Implement these seven
strategies in your company today.

To download 7 Health & safety strategies to save you thousands click here now >>>