- Offences, penalties and special orders of court: That's what you'll face if you don't comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Whenever you don't comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, you risk penalties or special orders from court. But there are situations when you may not even be aware of the mistakes you're making.
Today we're helping you avoid some of the most common ones.
Read on to discover what they are.
Make sure you're not making mistakes when dealing with the inspectors from the Departm... ››› more
- [13 April 2015]
- Who to appoint to make sure health and safety runs smoothly in your company
- You can't manage the health and safety at your workplace alone. You must have people who can help you in different situations and at different levels of the organisation.
But it's not just a good idea to appoint these people so they can help you. It's a legal requirement under the OHS Act.
In fact, there are 33 different appointments you may have to make.
Read on to find out what they are... ››› more
- [08 April 2015]
- Five important steps you must take when investigating an accident at your workplace
- You can't afford to waste any time when it comes to investigating accidents at work!
You must investigate an accident or near misses straight after it happens. Even minor accidents. So you need to be properly prepared.
Why? Because you'll need to refer back to the report when you do your safety risk assessments!
The point of your investigation is getting to the bottom of what caused the... ››› more
- [08 April 2015]
- Use these seven tips to conduct a perfect safety compliance audit!
- You have to do a compliance audit to assess the degree of safety compliance with requirements of your site-specific health and safety risk management system.
Not sure what that entails?
Read on to find out...
Here's how to do a safety compliance audit
A compliance audit will help you see how effective your safety system is, and if it's achieving its objectives.
To do one, you need to... ››› more
- [17 March 2015]
- Prepare the perfect health and safety risk management internal audit in just eight easy steps
- What do you have to do when planning and preparing the health and safety risk management internal audit?
Simply follow these eight steps and you'll have the perfect plan...
These are the eight things you must do to plan and prepare for your internal safety audit!
1. Ask yourself what do you need from a standard audit procedure, this is important since it outlines the set of rules your comp... ››› more
- [17 March 2015]
- Four types of safety audits you need to know to make sure yours runs smoothly!
- The different types of audits review different information.
You need to do all four to help see if you're in line with OHS lAct, your company-specific risk profile, and standard health and safety requirements.
Read on for the four types of safety audits you need to know about to make sure yours runs smoothly!
Before you can start conducting your audit, you need to know the different type... ››› more
- [09 March 2015]
- Emergency situations don't have to end in fatalities. Make sure you have these two emergency evacuation plans
- Can you imagine what would happen if a fire breaks out, there's a violent strike, a bomb threat, an earthquake or a chemical spillage and your company isn't prepared for these emergencies?
Your employees could be injured or die. And the DoL will fine you and even send you to jail.
That's why you need to prepare for any emergency and be ready to act. To do this, you need to have two types of ... ››› more
- [18 February 2015]
- Seven tasks your employees can do to help you maintain a healthy and clean work environment so you comply with Environmental Regulations
- Environmental Regulations make it clear that you have a legal duty to provide and maintain a healthy and safe working environment.
But where do you start if you want to comply?
Simply get your employees to help you. After all, workplace health and safety is a collective effort.
Here are the seven tasks your employees can do to help you maintain a healthy and clean work environment so you... ››› more
- [17 February 2015]
- Does your company store waste? Know your National Environmental Management Waste Act duties or prepare to face these devastating consequences
- If your company stores waste, the National Environmental Management Waste Act (NEMWA) applies to you. And you must comply with it.
If you don't, you could face a fine of up to R10 million, a ten year jail term or both.
Since this is a risk you can't afford to take, keep reading to discover your five duties under this Act so you can comply.
'Comply with these five duties if you store wa... ››› more
- [06 February 2015]
- If you don't take these eight steps before you start your construction project, the DoL may shut you down
- Construction work is very dangerous. That's why you have to take the right steps to implement health and safety on site before you even start your construction project.
That's why the Construction Regulations 2014 clearly outlines what you have to do to make sure your construction project is safe. If you don't comply with these regulations, the DoL may stop your project midway and that could c... ››› more
- [01 December 2014]
- This is the best way to avoid DoL health and safety fines
- If a DoL inspector comes into your workplace and discovers you haven't complied with the OHS Act, he'll punish you.
These punishments can range from a simple slap on the wrist and an instruction fix your mistakes to possible jail time.
The best way to avoid this is to monitor your own compliance and fix any areas you find gaps in.
But how do you do this?
There's actually a simple and... ››› more
- [19 November 2014]
- Comply with these three OHS Act rules about labelling, packaging, transportation or you'll face harsh penalties
- There are several OHS Act regulations you must comply with depending on the industry your business is in.
Three of these regulations contain a rule about labelling, packaging and transporting hazardous materials.
If you work with these materials and don't comply with this rule, you'll face serious penalties.
Read on to discover the three OHS Act regulations that contain this particular ... ››› more
- [11 November 2014]