Attention! Health and Safety specialists face fines imposed by DoL!
You must comply with the OHS Act!
Recently, the Department of Labour (DoL) conducted over 190,000 impromptu health and safety inspections. It even shut down a company for failing to comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA). Employers have been warned that there will be many more inspections. Don't let them show up at your door unannounced.
Here are just some of the non-compliance issues the DoL found and that led to fines!
1. Failure to comply with the OHS Act
• Inadequate training of health and safety
• No risk assessment and occupational disease and injury prevention and protection plans
• No Health and Safety Committee at work
2. Inadequate medical supervision
• Lack of medical examinations upon employment
• Lack of control for employees returning to work and regular medicals
• Lack of fitness medical records
3. Lack of advice and technical checks for lifting and pressure;
4. Lack of protection devices and machine guards (screens, fenders, lids) work equipment;
5. Lack of protection against shock hazards (lack of protection by earthing failure and not showing/ having access-controlled switchboards).
It's time to look at your company from a DoL's perspective and see what you need to fix!