HomeHome SearchSearch MenuMenu Our productsOur products

Have you had a construction site tragedy? Here's how to report it to the DoL

by , 07 July 2015
There's been an accident on one of your construction sites. An employee had an accident, lost a finger, and is in hospital.

Under the construction regulations, you need to report all work-related accidents. It's not enough to file an internal incident report only. But do you know what to do to bring the incident to DoL's attention?

There are strict rules around reporting the incident and harsh punishment if you don't abide. Below we unpack construction site regulations on reporting accidents, so you can effectively report to the DoL like you should. And avoid a fine or even jail time.

What the law says about reporting workplace incidents? 

Construction sites are governed by the Occupational Health and Safety Act of 1993 Section 24(1) states that certain types of incidents, occurring at work or arising out of or in connection with the activities of persons at work, or in connection with the use of plant or machinery, in which persons are involved must be reported to the provincial director. 
****** You NEED to read this ****** 
Do you want to be fined, jailed or have a criminal record for life?
If an accident occurs in your workplace, and the person dies, you could be charged with culpable homicide, charged penalties of R100 000 or 2 years in jail! The CEO or Owner of a company is personally accountable for health and safety at work. 
Click here for the three things you must prove to establish your innocence.

What workplace incidents must you report? 

Reportable incidents include events where any person dies, becomes unconscious, loses a limb or part of, suffers a permanently physical defect or is likely to be unable to work for at least 14 days. 
You must report any accidents that result in medical expenses or an employee's absence from work for longer than three days by submitting the required documents to the Compensation Fund within seven days.

How do you report workplace incidents to the provincial director?

You need to complete a WCL 2 form to report workplace injuries.
 (WCL 1 form is used to report occupational illness.) You then submit it either via fax, in person or email. Make sure to make a copy for yourself, as law requires you, to file these for three years. 
If you delay in reporting an accident, you are guilty of a criminal offence and will pay a penalty.

Vote article

Have you had a construction site tragedy? Here's how to report it to the DoL
Note: 5 of 1 vote

Related articles

Related articles

Related Products