5 Legally-compliant safety training modules for less than R200 each
I know you carefully collect and compile training sheets and presentations on your own. And you're bound to get angry when legislators change the law, and just like that all your arduous work is instantly out of date!
Would you like to prepare work safety training presentations faster?
Are you looking for help?
I have a solution for you…
You can ban smoking in your company
If you decide to ban span smoking completely in your company, then you need to have a smoking policy in place that reflects this.
If you decide to provide smoke breaks during working hours you can insist employees work in the time after hours, without additional remuneration. Alternatively, you can total up the 'smoke breaks time' and deduct it from your employees wages at the end of the month. If you go this route- then inform employees that they're free to smoke during their lunch breaks. Again, you must make sure this is stipulated in your company smoking policy.
Get 106 ready to use health and safety templates to kick start your Health and Safety system!
How to control the smoke breaks your employee takes in 6 ways
To ensure that productivity loss is kept to a minimum you should:
1. Find a mechanism to record the amount of time a smoker spends on smoke breaks (e.g. A clocking system);
2. Ensure the smoking area isn't too far from the workplace so time isn't wasted accessing the smoking area;
3. Limit the number of smoke breaks employees can take during working hours;
4. Limit the duration of smoke breaks;
5. Ensure the smoking area is visible (glass partitions) so you can monitor occupants of the area; and
6. Maintain discipline so employees adhere to your smoking policy. Discipline
anyone who breaks the rules, and use them as an example to other employees
Lookout for our new compliance toolkit launch on smoking laws to make sure you're complying with the smoking laws.
Until next time,
Managing Editor: Health and Safety Advisor
Get your sample smoking policy in Chapter S01 Smoking in the Workplace of the Health and Safety Advisor