- Download your HSE procedures checklist NOW!
- It's common practice to put written procedures in place for your business. This'll make sure your employees follow the rules you know are necessary to maintain the health and safety of your company.
So let's take a look at what you must do to make sure your Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) procedures are easy to understand... *****************************
Fulfilling your health and safet... ››› more
- [10 July 2013]
- Warning: To be OHSA compliant, you need to appoint a health and safety representative today!
- Whether you work in an office or a steel mill, accidents are bound to happen. How do you as an employer protect yourself and your staff? Simply nodding and smiling at the health and safety inspector isn't enough! You need a health and safety representative to ensure your business doesn't fall to pieces when there's a crisis! Appointing a health and safety representative is not only a legal require... ››› more
- [10 July 2013]
- Four health and safety obligations you must implement
- As a manager or employer it's your responsibility to ensure the OHSA and its procedures are carried out and maintained. Appointing a HSE rep is only one of them. I'll show you four more tasks you need to implement to ensure you meet your obligations. **********
The only DoL recognised way to train your Health and Safety Representative
If you don't have the HSE Representatives Toolkit CD, gets ... ››› more
- [19 April 2013]
- Can I prosecute my Health and Safety Representative for not fulfilling his duties?
- It's your duty as an employer to ensure your HSE Rep is properly trained to perform their duties.
But what happens when your HSE Rep fails to fulfill their duties?
Let's take a look... ******************************
Do you have more than 20 employees?
Don't ignore this health and safety obligation or else!
The DoL will slap you with a R50 000 fine or 1 year in jail if you don't have a healt... ››› more
- [17 April 2013]
- Make sure your HSE reps are doing their jobs... or face the consequences
- Did you know that if you have more than 20 employees in your workplace, you must choose a health and safety representative (HS representative)? It's a legal requirement according to the OHS Act!
Your HS representative has several functions which they must perform in the company/department.
Let me tell you more about what they need to do in your company so you avoid penalties...
------... ››› more
- [27 March 2013]
- Are you giving your HSE reps enough time to meet their responsibilities?
- Health and safety training is big news internationally. So much so that Australia's transport industry is now offering its members health and safety training programmes to raise awareness of health and safety issues, intending to train four times as many HSE reps as last year. This is a great way to prevent any accidents - that's why you should appoint more than one HSE rep...
In Australia, the... ››› more
- [27 March 2013]
- The secret to giving an award-winning performance as your company's HSE rep!
- If you've just been appointed as a health and safety representative in your company, you'll already know that there's a lot on your plate. You're ultimately responsible for all employees' health and safety, and need to make sure preventative measures are put in place to minimise risk where possible. Feeling overwhelmed? Don't! It's easy to shine in your new role...
Health and safety representat... ››› more
- [19 March 2013]
- Does your SHE file prove your company cares for the environment?
- Businesses need to pay more attention to the environment. That was the message from Water and Environmental Affairs Minister Edna Molewa to an International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora conference in Thailand on Monday, according to the TimesLive website. There's an easy way to prove your business does all it can to minimise harm to the environment - all you have to do is ge... ››› more
- [06 March 2013]
- Does your HSE rep know how to secure the scene of a health and safety incident?
- 'At least 13 workers were wounded by rubber bullets or machetes in fighting at Amplats' Siphumelele mine following clashes between rival unions', on Monday, reports Fin24. With violent strike action becoming more and more common within the South African business landscape, there's every chance something similar could take place at your company one day. Here's what your HSE rep needs to do to secur... ››› more
- [20 February 2013]
- Make sure your business does its bit for water conservation!
- In last week's State of the Nation Address, President Zuma touched on important issues such as the planned development of two new dams to solve the current water crisis. But we can't leave it up to government to solve our country's water problem. Especially as there're constant news reports about water contamination. Here's what your business can do to solve the current water crisis...
'South A... ››› more
- [19 February 2013]
- To avoid a hefty health and safety fine, you need to answer 'yes' to the DoL's eight questions
- The Department of Labour recently issued 10 949 companies with notices for failing to comply with aspect of the Occupation Health and Safety Act (OHSA). Not only were these companies served with thousands of rands worth of fine, but 1230 companies also had to stop production completely for failing to comply. Don't let your company join them in 2013! Make sure you can confidently answer 'YES' to th... ››› more
- [12 February 2013]
- Do you have these 18 items in your office first aid kit?
- 'If your company employs five or more employees, it must meet the minimum first aid requirements,' warns Richard Swift in the Health and Safety Advisor. Having one first aid kit in your office could mean the difference between a minor injury and a costly disabling injury or even death. Here are the 18 items your office's first aid box must contain to ensure you're complying with health and safety ... ››› more
- [07 February 2013]