Are you responsible for compiling your SHE file?
Are you struggling to keep up-to-date with all the paperwork?
Do you waste your time formatting all the documents?
Are you stressed out about all your legal requirements?
NEMO and the White Paper: Here's what you need to know
The National Environmental Management of the Oceans (or NEMO) brought forward the White Paper on June 1st 2014. The White Paper wants to find modern and integrated ways to manage the South African marine environment.
According to the Department of Environmental Affairs, the White Paper deals with these environmental problems:
• Land-based activities;
• Shipping and Port Operations;
• Sea water abstraction;
• Energy production;
• Communication cables;
• Recreation and tourism; and
• Emerging technological use.
So what does all this mean for you if you're a coastal-based company?
Attention! Health and Safety specialists face fines imposed by the DoL!
You must comply with the OHS ACT!
Here's what you need to do as a coastal-based company
You have a more direct effect on the marine environment if you're a costal company. Because of this, environmental governance expects you to:
1. Coordinate and support new environmental strategies;
2. Establish ways to collect and share your data about the environmental effects around;
3. Help create and maintain knowledge of how people use and function with the ocean;
4. Establish conservation plans that'll help you assess and manage your environmental impact;
5. Inform those around you (employees, partners and shareholder) about the importance of using ocean resources carefully; and
6. Ensure your company cooperate with the government's environmental efforts, locally and internationally.
It's vital for your company to follow environmental law as they're part of OHS regulations. So do your part and include these new efforts in your environmental policies.