- Sick leave for occupational injuries or diseases. Must you pay your employee a salary or not?
- Sick leave can get complicated. Espeically in the case where your employee is injured or becomes ill at work.
Does standard paid sick leave apply when this happens?
Today, we explain what the law says about cases like this and show you how to apply it.
Does your employee get paid sick leave if he's been in a workplace accident?
You should know that you can't use your employee's paid sic... ››› more
- [12 March 2015]
- Is your employee always entitled to paid sick leave? Let's find out!
- Your employee isn't feeling well and needs a few days of sick leave. But how do you know if he really IS entitled to it and for how long he can take paid sick leave?
You turn to the law, of course.
And this is what it says... Labour law and sick leave: What you need to know
The first thing you should know is that a sick leave works in cycles.
According to labour law, an employee is ... ››› more
- [12 March 2015]
- Sick leave. When do you need to conduct a thorough investigation?
- There are situations when an employee isn't performing as good as you would like to. And it's in this situation when you have to find out if it's because of an injury or ill-health.
In general, this is a situation you clarify at any performance management meeting.
In most cases, your employee will usually raise the problem with you. There could also be times when you can obviously pick this ... ››› more
- [10 March 2015]
- Leave policy: Do you know how much annual leave your employees are entitled to?
- When it comes about the annual leave, there are several aspects you should keep in mind. Today we present you with the ways to work out the amount of leave to give your employees in each leave cycle.
Do this to find out how much annual leave your employees are entitled to!
Note that your employees have a 12-month annual leave cycle. It starts when they start working for you or finish their pr... ››› more
- [10 March 2015]
- Should you pay your employee if he runs out of sick leave and falls ill? Everything you need to know about unpaid leave
- Have you ever encountered a situation where your employee runs out of sick leave and then falls ill? Do you have to pay him for the time off?
What should you do? Today, we take a look. According to the law, in this case you should treat your employee's absence as unpaid leave and he can claim from UIF in this instance.
However, you can agree with your employee to make up the shortfall in si... ››› more
- [09 March 2015]
- When must you pay for sick leave and how much should you pay?
- As a general rule, sick pay is calculated according to wages and annual leave pay according to remuneration.
But do you know when must you pay for sick leave and how much should you pay? Today, we explain.
Keep in mind that you must pay an employee for a day's sick leave the wage the employee would ordinarily have received for work on that day. This must be paid on the employee's usual pay da... ››› more
- [09 March 2015]
- The BCEA and employee rights: What you need to know
- The BCEA (Basic Conditions of Employment Act) provides employees with certain minimum rights when it comes to their terms and conditions of employment.
For instance, it says you must offer your employees the following rights: For instance, it says you must offer your employees the following rights:
- remunerate them for the work done
- give them vacation leave, sick leave, maternity leave ... ››› more
- [06 March 2015]
- Can I grant an employee his accumulated leave at the end of the leave cycle?
- All employees are entitled to annual leave (Basic Conditions of Employment Act).
The minimum amount of leave is 15 working days per annum or 21 consecutive days for an employee who works five days on full pay.
Now let's say at the end of a leave cycle, one of your employees hasn't taken his leave at all. He then decides to take his full 15 working days leave he's accumulated for that year.
... ››› more
- [02 March 2015]
- Do you suspect your employee isn't being honest about her pregnancy?
- Every month, I receive questions about maternity leave like:
'Does annual leave accumulate during maternity leave? '
'How much must I pay?'
And of course, 'How long is my employee entitled to?'
These questions are all pretty easy to answer because the Basic Conditions of Employment Act covers them.
But there's one question that doesn't often come up often, in fact one I haven't he... ››› more
- [12 February 2015]
- James hasn't returned to work after taking annual leave. Is this a case of absenteeism or desertion?
- It's almost the end of the first week of the new year.
Now when your employee James went on annual leave in December, he told you he'd be back in the office on the 2nd of January. But he hasn't returned.
You haven't heard from him and you have no idea when he's coming back.
Your biggest dilemma is you don't know if this is a case of absenteeism or desertion. And you're afraid to act becau... ››› more
- [07 January 2015]
- Should you give new fathers paternity leave? Here's what the BCEA says
- You know you must give new mothers four months' maternity leave.
What about new fathers? Hardly anyone talks about their options.
Do you know how much paternity leave to give them?
Is it even a legal requirement to give them this leave?
Read on and I'll tell you exactly what the Basic Conditions of Employment Act (BCEA) says so you know what to do next time one of your male employees... ››› more
- [31 December 2014]
- Put these three measures in place to stop sick leave abuse today
- Employees who take sick leave often can be a huge liability for you.
The truth is, while some employees don't come to work because they're genuinely ill, there are those who take time off even if they aren't sick. This amounts to sick leave abuse.
Every time they're absent, productivity suffers and you end up losing money.
So how do you deal with this problem?
Put ... ››› more
- [17 December 2014]