Personal Protective Equipment
- Are fake injury-on-duty claims a problem in your company? Here's how PPE can put a stop to it
- Recently, I came across a question on the HealthandSafetyClub.co.za about an employee who lied about his injury-on-duty.
He claimed he was wearing his protective clothing at the time of the accident and it didn't protect him so he could claim the accident as an IOD. But the truth is he wasn't wearing his PPE. This means the accident was his fault.
When his employer inspected the PPE, he di... ››› more
- [26 January 2015]
- Use this guide to give your employees risk-specific PPE and avoid a R25 000 penalty from the DoL
- The OHS Act says you must give your employees personal protective equipment (PPE). And that PPE must be specific to the risks your employees face at work.
If it isn't and the DoL comes to inspect your workplace, you could face a R25 000 fine.
Why take that chance when it's so easy to make sure your employees' PPE protects them from their work risks?
Just follow this simple guide to dete... ››› more
- [23 January 2015]
- Did your company spend more than triple what you budgeted for PPE last year? Here's how an asset management policy will stop this from happening again
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is expensive.
For a hard hat, you're looking at spending about R500 for one. Then you have to multiply that by all the workers in your company. So let's say you have 100 employees. That's 50 000 just on hard hats and if each employees lose one or three, you could easily spend more than triple your budget. And that's just for one piece of PPE. Your employees ... ››› more
- [22 January 2015]
- Look for these seven signs to see if you need to replace your employees' safety gloves now
- If your employees have to work with tools, machinery and other hazardous equipment, they need safety gloves to protect their hands.
But because your employees have to wear this personal protect equipment (PPE) all the time, it wears out very quickly.
This can result in the safety gloves being ineffective and hazardous.
That's why you need to inspect your employees' safety gloves at lea... ››› more
- [20 January 2015]
- Don't let your employees go blind! Give them one of these three types of PPE to protect their eyes
- If your employees work in an area that has a lot of airborne dust and debris, it can seriously injure their eyes. Similarly, if your employees work on machinery that causes sparks, these could burn your employees' eyes.
Even working with chemicals can have a serious impact on your employees' eyes because of the harsh fumes.
It's your duty as an employer to protect your employees from these... ››› more
- [19 January 2015]
- Six easy tips that will help you manage your employees' PPE so you won't have to replace it this year
- The OHS Act says you have to give your employees personal protective equipment (PPE). And you need to do a risk assessment to find out what kinds of PPE they need to protect them.
Unfortunately though, PPE gets old and it's expensive to replace it every year.
And since your employees have to use this safety gear every day, it's not like you can risk them going without for a while.
The g... ››› more
- [14 January 2015]
- Consider these six factor when you buy your employee's PPE to make sure it protects them from deadly injuries
- If your employees face danger every day at work, it's your responsibility to protect them from it. This means you need to install safety measures and train your employees to work safely.
But sometimes, that isn't enough and you need to give your employees extra protection.
That's why the OHS Act says you must give your employees personal protective equipment (PPE) to keep them safe.
Bu... ››› more
- [13 January 2015]
- If you're in the manufacturing industry, you risk a R25 000 fine if your employees don't have these five pieces of PPE
- The manufacturing industry is one of the most dangerous industries. The reason for this is the dangerous machinery you need to do your job. These machines have multiple hazards such as exposed moving parts, over-heating and possibly even sparking.
And that means they're constantly in danger when they work with this machinery. And you need to take every precaution to protect them from these dang... ››› more
- [12 January 2015]
- Give your employees these three types of PPE to prevent infections and illness
- The OHS Act says you must give your employees personal protective equipment (PPE) to protect them against hazards in their workplace.
But did you know PPE isn't just about protecting your employees from cuts and bumps? It's also crucial to stopping the spread of infections.
After all, since PPE creates a barrier between your employee and possible germs or bacteria, it can keep them safe fr... ››› more
- [09 January 2015]
- One rule you must follow when giving your employees PPE
- You need to do a risk assessment to identify the hazards in your workplace. Then you need to give your employees personal protective equipment (PPE) where you can see it will help reduce the likelihood of a workplace accident and injury.
But here's the thing, you can't just give your employees PPE. There's one very important rule you have to follow first.
Read on to find out what it is so ... ››› more
- [27 November 2014]
- The one way to make sure you meet your one legal PPE requirement
- You know the OHS Act outlines all your legal requirements when it comes to workplace health and safety. But when did you last look at what it says about your legal requirements regarding personal protective equipment (PPE).
Our experts at the Health and Safety Club often get questions from employers who want to know what the Act says about the different types of PPE.
To help you overcome all... ››› more
- [01 September 2014]
- Heat-resistant clothing: It's not just for fire-fighters
- Most people think of heat-resistant clothing and just think it's for fire-fighters who go plunging into burning buildings. But this isn't the case.
Yes, fire-fighters do rely on their heatproof protective clothing, but your employees may need to do the same.
If your employees work near, in or with extreme heat, they need protection from it. Otherwise, constant exposure to heat could give th... ››› more
- [29 August 2014]