- Follow these four easy steps to conduct legal background checks on new employees
- One of the important steps of the recruitment process is to conduct thorough background checks.
But a background check isn't just about phoning a previous employer. There are other checks you must do.
And you can do them by following these four easy steps...
Conduct legal background checks in four easy steps
Step 1: Check credit history
If the job requires the person to wor... ››› more
- [23 January 2015]
- Study shows hiring the wrong employee can cost you six times his salary!
- A study by The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development found the cost of hiring the wrong employee can be between four and six times the employee's salary.
That's why it's important to make sure you hire the right candidate every time.
Before we show you how, take a look at the costs you incur when you hire the wrong employee
According to firstcourserecruitment.com, the follow... ››› more
- [22 January 2015]
- Warning: Think twice about recruiting a job candidate who talks badly about his past employer
- I bet this sounds familiar: You're in an interview and you ask a candidate to tell you about his previous employment.
He tells you his former boss was a nightmare.
But he doesn't stop there. He goes on about his previous company and how bad it was to work there.
As a potential employer, you need to think carefully about hiring this type of applicant.
Read on to find out why so you won... ››› more
- [20 January 2015]
- Avoid unfair discrimination claims from job candidates - Follow these four rules when drafting interview questions
- The Employment Equity Act makes it clear that mustn't ask questions a candidate could see as discriminatory.
If you do and you end up rejecting the candidate, he could claim unfair discrimination at the CCMA. And, as you know, a CCMA dispute is costly.
To avoid unfair discrimination claims from job candidates, follow these four rules when you draft your interview questions.
Don't let... ››› more
- [20 January 2015]
- Two methods to recruit and retain top talent in 2015
- It happens every year. Some of your employees leave your employ and you create other positions to grow your business.
You're now planning your big recruitment drive.
And you're looking at the bigger picture.
Not only do you want to recruit top talent this year, you want to make sure they will stick around for longer. After all, hiring as well as losing employees is costly.
So how do y... ››› more
- [16 January 2015]
- Verify an employee's CV before you appoint him or face the consequences...
- I'm sure you've seen the news recently of top level individuals lying on their CVs. This isn't a new thing, and your company isn't exempt from employees doing the same. It doesn't matter if it's for a junior or senior management position.
That's why it's so important to verify a candidate's CV before you appoint him. If you don't, you could face consequences that could be disastrous for your c... ››› more
- [12 January 2015]
- Develop new talent in your business by hiring someone 'wet behind the ears'
- Without the right skills, your company won't improve or grow. But it isn't always easy to find employees with the right skills... So why not look at hiring someone fresh out of Varsity? Someone you can mould and groom to your standards.
The best way to do this is by implementing a graduate recruitment programme. Let's see what and how this could be the best way for you to grow...
Four benefi... ››› more
- [24 December 2014]
- Are you hiring new employees? Make sure you don't discriminate based on these five reasons
- When hiring new employees, make sure you don't discriminate during the selection process.
If you turn down job applicants because of any of these reasons you'll be guilty of unfair discrimination. This could lead to fines from the Department of Labour of up to R2.7 million or 10% of your turnover.
Keep reading below to see five of the 18 reasons for unfair discrimination you can use to make... ››› more
- [08 December 2014]
- Here's how to deal with the ever growing problem of fake qualifications
- The SA Qualifications Authority (SAQA) says fake qualifications are a growing problem on the African continent. To deal with the problem, SAQA's chief executive, Joe Samuels, says they will be setting up a network in Africa to verify qualifications.
The organisation made these comments this week during a seminar on qualification fraud on the continent.
SAQA's statements ring true.
In rec... ››› more
- [28 November 2014]
- Use these four types of interviews to find the best candidate
- You've shortlisted a few applicants for a vacancy. Now it's time to conduct interviews to assess them against the job requirements.
Interviews are very important because you have to find the candidate that fits the job. And the only way to do this is to conduct successful interviews.
Continue reading below for the four types of interviews you can use to make sure you hire the right person a... ››› more
- [19 November 2014]
- There are ten factors that motivate job-seekers to join a company! Use them to attract the perfect candidate
- When you embark on a recruitment drive, your priority is to find someone who meets the requirements and is the right fit for your company.
What you need to realise is potential employees also just have certain priorities. Despite the tough economy, they're picky and aren't just settling for any company.
Wouldn't it be nice to get into their minds and find what they're looking for so you can ... ››› more
- [18 November 2014]
- Use this 23 step guide to ensure your 2015 recruitment drive is a success
- As the year draws to a close, it's crucial that you plan for the year ahead, especially when it comes to recruitment.
You can't afford to rush through the process and be unprepared.
According to experts behind the Labour Law for Managers Loose Leaf Service, the cost of hiring the wrong candidate can run into thousands of rand.
This because you'll have the mammoth task of helping the per... ››› more
- [14 November 2014]