HomeHome SearchSearch MenuMenu Our productsOur products

Do you have employees working outside SA? Find out here if they're exempt from tax

by , 22 March 2016
If you employ someone who works outside the country, you may be wondering how exactly you would tax them.

Well, you need to ensure you get it right, otherwise harsh SARS penalties potentially await you.

Here's what you need to know when it comes to taxing employees who work outside of South Africa...

How to legally minimise your taxes
Ever wished for a quick reference guide on complicated tax matters? Here is the answer to your prayers.
99 Tax Tips covers topical, everyday questions on personal and business taxes in easy-to-read English. Often- complicated tax concepts have been transformed into practical, extremely useful information.
See how to legally minimise your taxes; learn how to conduct yourself during a SARS audit.
Make 99 Tax Tips your constant companion to make the most of your tax affairs and stay compliant.
The general rule is that any income received by a South African resident from services rendered outside of South Africa, during the year of assessment, is exempt from tax.
But this general rule only applies under the following 2 sections…
Section#1: Crew member of a ship
Any South African resident who earns income as a crew member or an officer is exempt from tax. But only if he they render their services outside of South Africa for a period of at least 183 full days in a year.
Section#2: Services rendered outside of South Africa
Any payments South African residents receive for services provided outside of South Africa are exempt from employees' tax. But only if the services they render are:
·         For or on behalf of any employer (South African or foreign);
·         For a period exceeding 183 full days in total;
·         During any 12-month period;
·         Starting or ending during the year of assessment; and
·         They are out of the country for a period of more than 60 full days during that 12-month period.
NOTE: A resident employee is considered 'outside' South Africa if she's in transit between two countries. In other words, she doesn't actually enter South Africa through a port of entry.
ALSO: It's worth noting that this exemption doesn't apply to directors, other company office bearers or anyone employed in the provincial or national government.
*If you want to learn more on this important tax issue, including many others, simply page over to Chapter S 12 in your Practical Tax Loose Leaf Service handbook, or click here to order your very own copy today. 

Related articles

Related articles

Related Products

Recommended for You 

  Quick Tax Solutions for Busy Taxpayers – 35 tax answers at a glance

Here are all the most interesting, thought-provoking and common tax questions
asked by our subscribers over the last tax year – everything from A to Z!

To download Quick Tax Solutions for Busy Taxpayers – 35 tax answers at a glance click here now >>>
  Employees always sick? How to stop it today

Make sure you develop a leave policy to regulate sick leave in your company.

BONUS! You'll find an example of the leave policy and procedure in this report.

To download Employees always sick? How to stop it today click here now >>>
  Absenteeism: Little known ways to reduce absenteeism

This FREE e-report will tell you how you can reduce absenteeism in your workplace while avoiding the CCMA and without infringing your employees' labour rights.

To download Absenteeism: Little known ways to reduce absenteeism click here now >>>
  7 Health & safety strategies to save you thousands

Don't let a health and safety incident cost you one more cent. Implement these seven
strategies in your company today.

To download 7 Health & safety strategies to save you thousands click here now >>>