You must pay a withholding tax
of 15% on the licensor's behalf. This can be done by eFiling.
It is worth noting that this tax
rate can be reduced by a Double Taxation Agreement (DTA).
If an intermediary licensee exists between you and the foreign licensor, you must consider issues relating to beneficial ownership of royalty payments as it'll have an effect on the DTA.
Save your business from penalties by being an instant audit expert!
With penalties as high as 200%, you can't afford to stay in the dark about the auditing process. You need to know your rights, your responsibilities and obligations, and you need to know them before it's too late…
Click here to find out your rights
You should consider the following points when determining the beneficial owner of the royalty receipts:
· Legal rights of ownership. In other words, rights to possess, use, manage, alienate, liberate, waste, consume or destroy the receipts;
· Economic indicators of ownership and control. In other words, who controls the receipts; who participates in capital gains and related profits; who holds the rights of liquidation; etc.
Make sure you receive exchange control approval for the license from the Department of Trade and Industry.
Note that, whilst it is required to receive approval to effect payment of royalties, not getting approval shouldn't impact the deductibility of royalties incurred.
Every South African tax law explained by our experts
The Practical Tax Loose Leaf Service offers you:
· All the definitions and legal regulations, useful advice, exceptions to the rules that help you slip through the legislative jungle of taxes.
· Case studies and practical examples that show you what elements you should consider for your taxes to be perfect.
· Red flags you need to watch out for and the penalties you'll face if you don't respect them.
· Sample templates at your disposal, ready to be filled in, customised and printed.
Click here for more details