HomeHome SearchSearch MenuMenu Our productsOur products

How to make sure you don't end up with an unfair tax assessment from SARS

by , 29 November 2016
How to make sure you don't end up with an unfair tax assessment from SARSDo you believe that the quickest way to get SARS off your back is to pay up on the assessment? And then heave a sigh of relief, because 'it's over'?

Pay now, argue later, right?


You don't have to pay up immediately on assessment. And you certainly don't have to accept the tax assessment SARS gives you.

Here's what you can do about it...


How to make yourself invisible to SARS

The key to reducing how much tax you pay is staying off SARS' radar.

SARS has conducted R1.8 million audits. They've added 100s of new tax collectors and auditors to their payroll and each one has his own collection targets to meet.

This means two things:
  1. If you're not compliant, your chances of an audit this year have just doubled, and
  2. You will pay more in penalties.

You're allowed to object to your assessment first if you believe SARS is wrong

I'll tell you how to do this in a moment, but you need to know this.
Even if your objection is successful, SARS can raise an additional assessment against you up to three years after the initial assessment.
After the three years have passed, SARS can't come after you again, unless they have evidence you deliberately committed fraud. Or are guilty of misrepresentation or non-disclosure to SARS.
Read on to see how long you have to lodge your objection…


The New TAKE ON SARS AND WIN Book will help you save thousands of rands and precious time with this alternative dispute resolution method 

Get your copy of Take on SARS and Win today
No need to spend hours with tax consultants, or searching the net to find out how to object to a SARS assessment.

Simply use the advice from top tax experts in Take on SARS and Win and adapt it for your case. Get your copy here.


You have 30 days to object to an assessment

And to do this, you can send SARS a letter, objecting to their assessment.

If that fails, or if you're not confident in your letter-writing capabilities, complete an ADR 1 form (for Alternative Dispute Resolution) for companies, close corporations (CCs) and trusts.
The team at the Practical Tax Handbook have drafted a sample letter you can use. If you don't have a copy, claim yours here.

 The Practical Tax Handbook also gives you the step by step process you can follow when you complete your ADR 1 Form so you can make sure you get yours right first time, every time.

Vote article

How to make sure you don't end up with an unfair tax assessment from SARS
Note: 5 of 1 vote

Related articles

Related articles

Related Products