Scenario: SARS has sent you a 'Letter of Engagement' informing you that it is auditing your Vat and tax returns.
The letter includes the name of the auditor as well as the supervising team leader of the audit.
It also states that all relevant documents, such as ledgers and journals, must be available for inspection.
So, what now?
Here's what you can do to ensure that your rights are protected at all times:
1. Write SARS a letter in which you request copies of the SARS identification cards of the auditor and the team leader.
2. Once the copies are receives, create a letter that contains a request for SARS to provide the relevant legislation that compels you to provide the information requested as well as the scope and purpose of the audit.
Save your business from penalties by being an instant audit expert!
With penalties as high as 200%, you can't afford to stay in the dark about the auditing process. You need to know your rights, your responsibilities and obligations, and you need to know them before it's too late…
3. If SARS threatens you with an assessment, or goes straight into one, then you can say that until the process is completed, you will not provide any further information.
4. Always address all correspondence to the auditor and the team leader.
So, there are four great steps to ensure that you are not bullied in the case of a SARS audit.
To learn more details, click below…
How much time do you spend looking for useful tax information? Do you need all the South African taxes analysed and explained in one easy location?
Now you can have all the information in one place: The Practical Tax Loose Leaf Service.
Over 500 pages compiled by our tax experts, comprising of:
• All the definitions and legal regulations, useful advice, exceptions to the rules that help you slip through the legislative jungle of taxes.
• Case studies and practical examples that show you what elements you should consider for your taxes to be perfect.
• Red flags you need to watch out for and the penalties you'll face if you don't respect them.
• Sample templates at your disposal, ready to be filled in, customised and printed.
You will also get free access to the accountingandtaxclub.co.za. Here you'll find questions and answers on any tax and accounting issues. You can also ask our experts a tax question