HomeHome SearchSearch MenuMenu Our productsOur products

Five documents you MUST have to prove your zero rating of Vat to SARS

by , 06 May 2015
It's all very well to know which items are zero-rated for Vat purposes. But did you know, the vendor who charges Vat at the zero rate must keep proof of the zero rating?

(Paragraph (3), Section 11 of Vat Act (that's the section that tells you what's zero-rated)

If you apply the zero rate of Vat to a transaction, you must keep details of that transaction, along with the necessary forest of paper work, so you can explain to SARS why it should allow you to charge Vat at the zero rate. If you didn't know this, you're not alone. Not many people do.

Here's what you need to prove your zero rating!


Revealed: How to get your Vat refund from SARS within 21 days every time

By law, SARS has to pay you your Vat refund within 21 days!
So why doesn't it?
Find out here...


Checklist: Five documents you MUST have to prove your zero rating

In Interpretation Note 32, SARS outlines which of these five documents it needs and for which items.
  1. The tax invoice – the most important document!
For ANY zero-rated transaction, you need your copy of the zero-rated tax invoice.
  1. Proof of payment
In all the zero ratings checks it's carrying out, SARS is looking for proof of payment. It wants proof that the transaction actually took place. But while there's been a long-standing perception among vendors and Vat auditors that the payment must be from a foreign source, the law doesn't demand this!
SARS simply wants proof of payment and it can be from a local source.
  1.  Some sort of contract or agreement 
For most zero-rated supplies, whether of goods or services, SARS will be looking for a contract or an agreement between the parties. This could take the form of, for example:  an order, a sale agreement, an agreement between a Government Department and the vendor.
  1. For exports and foreign transport, you need forms from Customs...
You'll also need documents from Customs e.g. an SAD 500. These – and the applicable transport documents – for example, a road manifest, a bill or lading – must be stamped by Customs.


 BREAKING NEWS: SARS introduces more changes to the VAT return

Are you 100% sure you've covered all your bases?

All it takes is putting a zero in the wrong place on your VAT return to get in trouble with SARS – and even trigger an audit!
Don't let this happen to you!

Avoid simple yet costly mistakes with this number one resource no business should be without!

  5. SARS also requests an additional three forms: 
  • A Vat 262 form
Make sure you complete the 1st copy page in full – especially parts A to D. This is for goods forming part of a repair which is supplied for goods temporarily admitted into South Africa. For example, a car which comes in for repairs.
  • A Vat 267 form
Make two copies – one for Customs and one for your records, and have both stamped by Customs. This is for goods used exclusively in an export country or in the customs controlled area (CCA) of an industrial development zone.
But, once again, in true SARS fashion, these forms are NOT available on the SARS website. You have to call SARS and request them.
  •  A Vat 103 notice of registration (applies only to farmers, forestry and agriculture)
Again, you need two copies of this one. It's for agricultural goods, sold to a vendor who qualifies to buy it at the zero rate. The buyer must give a copy of the Vat 103 notice to the seller. The notice will include a paragraph, usually at the bottom of the page, which indicates that the buyer's enterprise is an agricultural one. 
  • Get the timing wrong, and you'll be coughing up extra Vat!
SARS goes on to say that if you've applied the zero rate of Vat to goods and/or services, that you must obtain documentation as specified, at the time you show the zero-rated sale on the relevant Vat return (except for goods exported, but that's another story). 
If you don't, you'll have to pay the Vat over in the meantime, until you do get the documentation!
You may, though, apply to the  SARS office, where your are registered, for extensions in obtaining documents – but given its track record in replying to vendors, you'll probably have obtained ALL your documents by the time they reply to you! 
To keep up-to-date with the latest Vat changes and interpretation notes, click here

Related articles

Related articles

Related Products

Recommended for You 

  Quick Tax Solutions for Busy Taxpayers – 35 tax answers at a glance

Here are all the most interesting, thought-provoking and common tax questions
asked by our subscribers over the last tax year – everything from A to Z!

To download Quick Tax Solutions for Busy Taxpayers – 35 tax answers at a glance click here now >>>
  Employees always sick? How to stop it today

Make sure you develop a leave policy to regulate sick leave in your company.

BONUS! You'll find an example of the leave policy and procedure in this report.

To download Employees always sick? How to stop it today click here now >>>
  Absenteeism: Little known ways to reduce absenteeism

This FREE e-report will tell you how you can reduce absenteeism in your workplace while avoiding the CCMA and without infringing your employees' labour rights.

To download Absenteeism: Little known ways to reduce absenteeism click here now >>>
  7 Health & safety strategies to save you thousands

Don't let a health and safety incident cost you one more cent. Implement these seven
strategies in your company today.

To download 7 Health & safety strategies to save you thousands click here now >>>