HomeHome SearchSearch MenuMenu Our productsOur products

How to claim Vat back before you're a Vat vendor!

by , 18 July 2013
One of our Accounting and Tax Club members asked if he can get a Vat refund back on property expenses. The real kicker is, he hasn't registered for Vat yet!

Your immediate response may be to say no – it's not possible. One of our well respected Vat experts, Kallie Van Der Merwe, a writer for the Practical Vat Loose Leaf service, answered this question for our member.

Let's have a look at the question, and then see what Kallie had to say…

+++ You're entitled to claim 28% of your bad debt!+++

Discover how Greg got R22 400 from SARS for his company's bad debt so you can do the same...

Plus discover 46 other ways to get your money back from SARS.

Read on to find out more!


Can we claim Vat on a property we bought before we registered as Vat vendors?

About two years ago, I bought a residential property in the name of a Pty (Ltd).

I plan to renovate it and run a frail care business from there. After waiting for two years for council approval, the renovations will start this week and it should take about five months.

We hope to exceed R1 million in annual turnover. So we'll have to register for Vat.

At that point (when the company registers for Vat), can we claim the Vat on the renovations as well as the Vat on the original purchase of the property? Is the Vat limited to the transfer duty? If so, is there a specific procedure to follow? Or should we (and can we) register for Vat now to start claiming back?

+++ SARS has been keeping a  secret from the South African public+++

This secret can save you hundreds, even thousands, of rands in tax savings.

This secret is so powerful, tax consultants use it to complete multiple tax returns in less than a few hours.

And today, we'll  show you how you can do the same!

The number one tax secret SARS and every personal tax consultant don't want you to know is revealed here.

Let's see what Kallie has to say…

If the company registers for Vat when your turnover hits the Vat threshold of R1m per annum,  you can claim the Vat from buying the property. You can also claim the renovations as an input tax deduction as a 'change in use' adjustment (Section 18(4), Vat Act).

Definition: Adjustment?

A calculation that results in additional output tax you must pay; or
input tax you can claim.

You can claim Vat for:
  • Transfer duty paid (due to an amendment to the Vat Act effective from 10 January 2012).
  • Amount you paid for the property - if you registered the property in the company's name and you've finished paying for the property.
Make sure you claim this within one month of your Vat registration!

If you want to apply for voluntary Vat registration, you can do this when your taxable income is more than R50 000 in a 12 month period. This amount applies because the company's a welfare organisation. There's a whole chapter dedicated to Change in Use Adjustments, C02 in the Practical Vat Loose Leaf. If you don't have a copy, click here.

Until next time,

Philip Rosenberg

Managing Editor, Practical Vat Loose Leaf

PS Do you have Vat questions to ask? Check out our Accounting and Tax Club site where we 1400 people have already been asking for free. Have you?

Vote article

How to claim Vat back before you're a Vat vendor!
Note: 5 of 1 vote

Related articles

Related articles

Related Products