HomeHome SearchSearch MenuMenu Our productsOur products

SARS rejected your objection! Use these 3 ways to resolve your dispute

by , 02 December 2015
You should never simply accept an assessment from SARS, because they can be wrong!

If you're very unhappy with an assessment from SARS, lodge an objection!

But what if they go ahead and reject your objection? What now?

Well then, if SARS rejects your objection, you can lodge an appeal, after which you can resolve your dispute with these 3 avenues:

Avenue#1: Alternative Dispute Resolution

This is an alternative to the traditional legal route, and can be considered a very cost-effective way to resolve your dispute, because litigation
can more often than not become very costly and time-consuming.

Here, SARS appoints a facilitator to mediate the process.

You meet with SARS, and the facilitator, informally, where you'll state your case with proof of your arguments. If you reach a resolution, SARS will give out a revised assessment.

But if you don't settle your dispute, then you can still appeal to the next 2 avenues…

Has SARS raised an assessment on your taxes?
Don't just sit back and let SARS have its way.
You have a lifeline.
Here are four steps you can use to lodge your objection
Avenue#2: The Tax Board

If you're disputing less than R500 000, you can take your case to the tax board.

This is a formal tribunal in which, unlike the Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) process, there's more structure, with a chairperson, who's an advocate or attorney, judging your case.

But is still less formal than the next avenue because the chairperson decides on how to conduct matters.

NOTE: There's a 60-day waiting period for a Tax Board decision.

If you're not happy with the decision of the Tax Board, then you can go the next avenue…

Avenue#3: The Tax Court

A judge, or acting judge, of the High Court will hear the case here.

She'll have an accountant and a representative of the commercial business community help him reach his judgment.

Here, you must follow court rules, including how you present your evidence.

NOTE: If you're unhappy with the Tax Court's decision, then you can appeal to the High Court or even the Supreme Court of Appeal. 

Related articles

Related articles

Related Products

Recommended for You 

  Quick Tax Solutions for Busy Taxpayers – 35 tax answers at a glance

Here are all the most interesting, thought-provoking and common tax questions
asked by our subscribers over the last tax year – everything from A to Z!

To download Quick Tax Solutions for Busy Taxpayers – 35 tax answers at a glance click here now >>>
  Employees always sick? How to stop it today

Make sure you develop a leave policy to regulate sick leave in your company.

BONUS! You'll find an example of the leave policy and procedure in this report.

To download Employees always sick? How to stop it today click here now >>>
  Absenteeism: Little known ways to reduce absenteeism

This FREE e-report will tell you how you can reduce absenteeism in your workplace while avoiding the CCMA and without infringing your employees' labour rights.

To download Absenteeism: Little known ways to reduce absenteeism click here now >>>
  7 Health & safety strategies to save you thousands

Don't let a health and safety incident cost you one more cent. Implement these seven
strategies in your company today.

To download 7 Health & safety strategies to save you thousands click here now >>>