As an employer, it is your duty to ensure the health and safety of your employees in the workplace. Failing to do so could lead to hefty fines and even a prison sentence. The last thing you want is a workplace incident due to the fact that you don't comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act's regulations.
So here are six health and safety duties you must be sure to carry out on a consistent basis:
1. Provide and maintain a work environment that is safe for all of your employees as far as is 'reasonably practicable'. While it may be impossible to completely eliminate all risks, it is still your duty to continuously do what you can to reduce risks and hazards in the workplace as much as possible.
2. Provide information on a regular basis so that your employees can be competent in maintaining a healthy and safe work environment.
Secret revealed! Cut your time spent on health and safety training in HALF!
I've got a way to HALVE the time you spend searching for documents, checking for the correct up-to-date policies and preparing training material for staff.
3. You must provide and maintain all systems of work in a way that is not harmful to your employees. In other words, you need to plan how to do the work and what to use when carrying out the work without introducing any hazards in the workplace.
4. Remove or reduce any workplace risks before issuing any Personal Protective Equipment.
5. Carry out risk assessments on a regular basis so as to identify hazards and determine the potential dangers of the risks before taking necessary action.
6. Put in place measures that will reduce the risk as much as is reasonably possible. For example, these measures could include limiting the number of people who are exposed to the risk and reducing the duration of exposure to the risk.
At the end of the day, it is up to you to ensure that all legal requirements are adhered to by your employees. To find out more of your Health and Safety duties, click below….
Get your hands on the ultimate health and safety guide today and have peace of mind you're complying with health and safety laws
The Health and Safety Advisor Loose Leaf Service is a genuine practical guide that offers:
Prompt information of any law changes
Correct interpretation of the law - solutions from specialists
Recommendations for the correct application of the law
Warnings about the repercussions of not complying with the law
Warnings of possible hazards, certain pitfalls in the law
Tips to prepare for your DoL inspections
Samples of documents you need to prepare ...