When you're implementing your company's health and safety programme, you need to ensure you've covered all of your bases.
You need to carefully check your plan, check your actions and check the way you look for problems.
This is a lot for you to check and you probably don't have much time to do it in. This is why we have put together these easy checklists for you to use.
Use them to ensure you've got everything you need in your health and safety programme.
Your 1 527 health and safety duties as an employer
When was the last time you checked what disinfecting agents and cleaning materials your company uses?
Do you comply with the Hazardous Chemical Regulations?
There are over 1 500 items you must evaluate in your workplace according to the OHS Act and hundreds more from SABS 0400: National Building regulations.
Ensure your health and safety programme covers everything with these safety checklists
The Health and Safety Advisor
has put together these safety checklists for you to use while implementing your health and safety programme.
What must be in your plan:
• Does management agree and understand your safety programme?
• Do you know your obligations and your employee legal obligations?
• Do you have a health and safety representative and committee?
• Did you establish a risk assessment group to conduct the risk assessment for your organisation?
• Have you planned a risk assessment?
• Do you have an incident investigation procedure?
• Do have records of your health and safety efforts?
• Did you take your employees input into consideration with the planning phase of your safety management system?
What you must do:
• Is health and safety on your agenda for all management meetings?
• Are your employees aware of your health and safety policy?
• Have you drawn up a Health and Safety Agreement?
• Have you identified who needs OHS training?
• Have you included health and safety training requirements in your workplace skills plan?
• Are you assessing hazards and the associated risk?
• Have you implemented risk controls?
• Are you investigating all incidents?
• Are you holding Health and Safety Committee meetings (if you employ more than 20 people)?
• Have you drawn up written health and safety procedures?
The last thing you need to make sure is happening, are the regular checks.
Revealed: How to ensure your site is one step ahead of all the construction regulations changes...
Will you land in hot water when the DoL comes to inspect your site? Or will your site be one of the few deemed 100% compliant?
Your safety checklist for regular checks
What you must check:
• Are Health and Safety Representatives doing regular inspections?
• Are you doing an annual internal audit?
• Have you planned an external audit?
• Are you reviewing your Health and Safety Management System annually?
With these checklists, you'll be able to check off every point in your safety management system in record time.