HomeHome SearchSearch MenuMenu Our productsOur products

You have two options when reporting workplace incidents to the DoL. Do you know what they are?

by , 09 October 2015
Incidents in the workplace are an occupational reality that you have to be aware of. And understanding which incidents in the workplace to report to the Department of Labour (DoL) is something to be equally aware of.

Failure to do so can be considered a criminal offence!

Having said that, here are your two options to report incidents in the workplace to the Department of Labour:

Option#1:  Compensation Commissioner

There are two incidents which must be reported to the Compensation Commissioner. They are:

1. Any injury that requires three or more days off from work, that requires the attention of a medical doctor and that will incur medical expenses.

2. Any adverse health effect caused by 'occupational exposure' must be reported to the Compensation Commissioner.

When we asked the Commissioner what he wants in an incident report, this is what he said...
Whenever you place a claim for one of your employees with COID, the Compensation Commissioner examines your incident report in extensive detail.
And I know exactly what he looks for!
He checks that every detail of the workplace incident or occupational injury has been included along with all the details of your investigation.
Miss JUST ONE point on his checklist, and he'll delay your claim. And your employee's compensation will now be your problem!
That's why you need to make sure you conduct a thorough incident investigation the first time around.
Here are the tips he shared with me!
Option#2: Regional Director of the Department of Labour

There are five incidents which must be reported to the Regional Director of the Department of Labour:

1. A person dies, becomes unconscious or loses a limb or part of a limb.

2. There is a likelihood that the person may die from the injuries sustained.

3. There is a chance the person will suffer a permanent defect as a result of the injury.

4. The person will be unable to work for a period of at least 14 days.

5. The person will not be able to return to the work for which he or she was employed.
Those were two options for reporting incidents in the workplace to the Department of Labour.

To learn more, subscribe to the loose leaf service advertised below.

Get your hands on the ultimate health and safety guide today and have peace of mind you're complying with health and safety laws
The Health and Safety Advisor Loose Leaf Service is a genuine practical guide that offers:

https://lp.fspsecure.co.za/upload_img/550_healthandsafetyadvisorrom.fspsecure.co.za/images/tick3.pngPrompt information of any law changes
https://lp.fspsecure.co.za/upload_img/550_healthandsafetyadvisorrom.fspsecure.co.za/images/tick3.pngCorrect interpretation of the law - solutions from specialists
https://lp.fspsecure.co.za/upload_img/550_healthandsafetyadvisorrom.fspsecure.co.za/images/tick3.pngRecommendations for the correct application of the law
https://lp.fspsecure.co.za/upload_img/550_healthandsafetyadvisorrom.fspsecure.co.za/images/tick3.pngWarnings about the repercussions of not complying with the law
https://lp.fspsecure.co.za/upload_img/550_healthandsafetyadvisorrom.fspsecure.co.za/images/tick3.pngWarnings of possible hazards, certain pitfalls in the law
https://lp.fspsecure.co.za/upload_img/550_healthandsafetyadvisorrom.fspsecure.co.za/images/tick3.pngTips to prepare for your DoL inspections
https://lp.fspsecure.co.za/upload_img/550_healthandsafetyadvisorrom.fspsecure.co.za/images/tick3.pngSamples of documents you need to prepare ...

Everything you need to ensure your health and safety information is correct and compliant! Get yours today!

Vote article

You have two options when reporting workplace incidents to the DoL. Do you know what they are?
Note: 5 of 1 vote

Related articles

Related articles

Related Products