To ensure your legal health and safety registers is effective ensure it contains these 18 things
Checklist: Contents of your legal register
1. Full versions and actual text of identified SHE legislation;
2. Applicable sections of the above converted into user friendly language;
3. Applicable Occupational Health and Safety Legislation;
4. Applicable Primary Health Care Legislation;
5. Applicable Environmental Legislation;
7. Applicable General Legislation (i.e. Constitution, Tobacco Controls Act);
8. Applicable regulations, standards and codes;
9. All your selected legislation must include:
– Legal references;
– A summarised user-friendly version and description of what's required to comply with the specific legal requirements, in easy to understand terms ;
*********** Advertisement ************
Are you complying with the OHSAS 18001?
Are you 100% compliant? How can you be sure?
10. An adjustable field for the legal register user to link your own comments to a legal requirement. This can include:
– References to control systems and procedures that ensure compliance;
– Notes on non-compliance, remedial actions and target dates;
– Applicable documentation for cross referencing;
– A summary of activities necessary to meet the 'intent' of the regulatory requirements;
– Relevant deadlines to meet compliance;
– Details on how you've delegated responsibilities to personnel;
– An adjustable field for whoever uses the legal register to link internal responsible persons to a legal requirement.
11. Who you identified as the person/department/group of people responsible for compliance with the specific requirement;
12. An adjustable field for whoever uses the legal register to link a risk rating. Your user can include the risk association with his specific legal requirements. This is a red flag option;
13. A link to applicable penalties;
14. A link to a relevant management system element / reference area;
15. A link to applicable ISO 14000 references;
16. A link to applicable OHSAS 18000 references;
17. Full versions of the legal register format in PDF format; and
Applicable documents, self assessment checklists and registers from the OHSA
Ensure your legal register contains the right information so you can use it to comply with OHS regulations.