- Are you obliged to grant study leave, leave for sporting activities, unpaid leave and special leave? Here's what the law says
- As you know, an employee who's been employed for longer than four months and works at least four days a week is entitled, during any leave cycle, to three days' paid family responsibility leave.
But, do you know what the Basic Conditions of Employment Act (BCEA) says about study leave, leave for sporting activities, unpaid leave and special leave? Read on to find out...
If you're not sure o... ››› more
- [01 December 2016]
- Has an employee taken leave without your approval? Here's what you can do
- Your employee Rachel has over 50 days' of leave due to her. A few weeks ago, she asked you if she could take some leave and you agreed to it.
Rachel wanted to take all 50 days of her leave. Because she's working on a client contract, you explained to her that she can only take 30 days at this stage. She agreed to this.
After this agreement, Rachel went on leave but she stayed home for an ext... ››› more
- [04 August 2015]
- You can't delay an employee's leave to get a project finished - here's why
- At the beginning of the year, the previous CEO of a company agreed to your employee, Rosie, going on an overseas holiday in October.
Since this agreement, you've taken over as the new CEO of the company and refuse to give Rosie time off. You have, however, offered to pay for all expenses she might incur in cancelling her trip. You've also promised to give her paid leave at a later stage. Her le... ››› more
- [17 July 2015]
- What to do when an employee takes leave after you decline his request
- On Monday afternoon, your employee Matthew came to you with a leave form requesting to take leave on Tuesday to take his mother to the doctor.
You explained to him he can't take leave on Tuesday because he has work that he needs to finish by Tuesday afternoon for a client.
Matthew didn't say anything in response. He just grabbed the leave form, turned around and walked away.
Later that... ››› more
- [30 June 2015]
- Does Sipho have to produce a doctor's letter when he calls in sick?
- Picture this...It's Monday morning and you get a call from Sipho, he tells you that he isn't feeling well and can't come to work as a result. He apologises for the inconvenience he's caused. The big question is: Do you have any recourse as an employer? Can you ask him for a doctor's certificate when he returns to work? Read on to find out so you can comply with basic Conditions of Employment Act (... ››› more
- [03 April 2014]
- Here's what you NEED to know about compassionate leave
- Quite often situations arise in your workplace where your employees will request compassionate leave because someone in their family has died. This may be the case with some of former President Nelson Mandela's family members. The former president and world icon died last night at the age of 95. He had been battling a recurring lung infection. If your employees family undergoes a similar loss, rea... ››› more
- [06 December 2013]