- What is a health and safety audit?
- This week I want to tell you all about health and safety audits, who needs them, why you have to have them, and a simple tool you can use to do your audit with the questions you need to ask in them.
But, it occurred to me you might not know exactly what I mean when I say 'audit'. So, let's start there ...
What is a health and safety audit?
The Health & Safety Advisor says 'a health and sa... ››› more
- [09 December 2016]
- How SARS can help you with your credit checks
- So, you're about to sign on a new customer, who'll bring you an average of R50 000 a month in business. But they're asking for credit. Do you just grant it and hope they're good for the money?
Can you take that risk? What if you sign a credit agreement and they never pay up?
Thanks to SARS' new tax compliance status (TCS) service on eFiling, you can credit vet them for free.
Keep readin... ››› more
- [22 September 2016]
- He hit me in the face with a spade! Who must I report this to?
- Working on a construction site, I'm sure you have many 'horror' stories to tell about incidents on your site...
My childhood was filled with my father (who managed a concrete plant for many, many years) coming home with tales of his stressful, but interesting, days.
Stories like... … Being thrown off a silo by a very disgruntled and aggressive employee…
… One of his employees being c... ››› more
- [05 September 2016]
- Two questions you must answer to ensure compliance with the Construction Regulations
- In the construction industry, your entire business revolves around the Construction Regulations. Because if you fail to comply with them, you can say goodbye to it. You see, an inspector can show up on your doorstep, at, any time to ensure you're complying with the new Construction Regulations. And that's why it's so important to ensure you're on the right track in advance.
So in order to ensur... ››› more
- [01 August 2016]
- 10 Rules you must know when using labour brokers
- Labour brokers carry with them a host of advantages. For example, workers are usually cheaper than an ordinary employee of yours; you can get specialised skills in your workplace that you never had before; and you can have greater flexibility in terms of fluctuating staff requirements.
But before you go ahead and use a labour broker, it's worth understanding exactly how the relationship between... ››› more
- [07 June 2016]
- Five duties you must carry out to comply with the General Machinery Regulations
- If you use machinery in the workplace, then it's your legal duty to ensure that all employees who work around it are protected.
And what this means is that all of your machinery must comply with the General Machinery Regulations, failure of which could lead to heavy fines and prosecution!
So to help you ensure that your workplace machinery meets the required standards, as laid out in the Gen... ››› more
- [06 June 2016]
- Take this VAT compliance test if you're a commission agent or broker
- Do you:
· Buy or sell goods, or arrange deals or plans on behalf of others; or
· Provide services on behalf of other people, after which you charge commission for it?
If so, then you could be operating as a commission agent or broker and may be liable for VAT. So you need to ensure that you're complying with all of your VAT responsibilities.
To help you do just that, a... ››› more
- [02 June 2016]
- Outline: 10 things you should be doing to ensure you comply with the EE Act
- If you're a designated employer, then you simply have to comply with the Employment Equity Act (EEA).
If you don't you'll land up with heavy non-compliance penalties, and costly legal procedures for you and your business.
So to help you stay on track, here's an outline of 10 things you should be doing to ensure you comply with the EE Act...
Revealed: The ONE... ››› more
- [12 April 2016]
- Is your workplace fully compliant for when the labour inspector comes? Take this general compliance test to find out
- Right now, as you conduct business, labour inspectors are circling around workplaces, waiting patiently to catch them off guard!
And the last thing you want is to be declared as on-compliant by one of these guys! Because if you are deemed so, stringent penalties and fines are sure to follow!
So in order to ensure that your workplace is fully compliant with all relevant labour legislation, he... ››› more
- [11 April 2016]