- 12 important documents you must have when a DoL inspector shows up on your construction site!
- A DoL inspector can enter your construction site at any time - without any previous notice - to ensure your site complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Here are 12 documents to include in your health and safety file, for when he comes knocking on your door... 1. Health and safety specifications
Even though these specifications can often be located in the bill of quantities o... ››› more
- [27 January 2017]
- Avoid shutdown by answering these 4 Health and Safety questions about legal appointments
- Did you know that an inspector from the Department of Labour can rock up on your doorstep, AT ANY TIME, and demand to inspect your premises?
That's right! It's completely your responsibility to provide a safe and healthy workplace for all of your employees. And if you fail to answer any of the inspector's questions, then you'll be in big trouble. In other words, he can SHUT DOWN your business! ... ››› more
- [14 November 2016]
- The DoL inspector is coming for your construction site! Here are 3 documents you must keep for him
- An inspector from the Department of Labour (DoL) has every right to waltz onto your construction site and demand to inspect it.
There's no point trying to stop him, otherwise you could be arrested for obstructing his duties. And so all you can do is ensure that you're fully compliant before he ever arrives - which could be at any time, even tomorrow!
So, where do you begin?
One of the bas... ››› more
- [06 April 2016]
- 9 steps to ensure legal compliance during a health and safety inspection
- Inspectors from the Department of Labour (DoL) can arrive at your business's doorstep, completely announced, and legally demand to inspect your workplace to ensure compliance with all health-and-safety legislation.
And if you're caught out, you'll face harsh penalties and fines which will severely hamper your business.
So don't ignore this very real possibility! Follow these 9 simple steps t... ››› more
- [10 March 2016]
- The inspector is on site to check your health and safety. Remember these nine important DO's and DON'T's
- At any given moment, a Department of Labour (DoL) inspector can arrive at your construction site to check your compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).
When he decides to pay you a visit, here are nine DO's and DON'T's to keep in mind: 1. Make sure the inspector attends your health and safety induction session before allowing him to make his way onto the site.
... ››› more
- [12 October 2015]
- Don't let the DoL inspector catch you out! Include these seven things in your employees' payslips
- DoL inspections can be a scary thought, and understandably so. After all, labour inspectors can literally appear at your doorstep, ready to scrutinise all that's going on in your workplace, without any prior notice whatsoever.
Within his powers, the labour inspector can inspect and question you on any document relating to labour law.
Of these documents, any information around employee remune... ››› more
- [06 October 2015]
- 11 Questions the DoL inspector can catch you out with!
- The Department of Labour can send an inspector to your construction site and demand to inspect it. What's more is that this can be done without any prior warning!
The inspector can ask your employees certain questions so as to see if you' are complying with the Construction Regulations.
Failure to comply with these regulations can lead to hefty fines of up to R100 000! So don't be caught o... ››› more
- [24 August 2015]
- 13 points that make up the DoL inspector's health and safety inspection checklist
- When a DoL inspector comes to assess your workplace health and safety, he won't just haphazardly walk through your workplace. He'll come in with a plan, a purpose and a checklist.
This checklist will cover all the points he needs to check during the inspection. Next to each one, he'll tick 'yes' or 'no'.
If he ticks 'no' it could spell bad news for your company.
Thankfully if you know ... ››› more
- [12 December 2014]
- Three non-compliance signs a DoL inspector will look for in your workplace
- The DoL wants to make sure every business in South Africa complies with health and safety regulations. To do this, it sends out inspectors to do unannounced inspections.
During the inspection, he'll look for warning signs that suggest you haven't complied with some aspect of the OHS Act.
Here are the three he'll look for before he starts digging deeper into your health and safety...
... ››› more
- [07 November 2014]
- When a DoL inspector checks your training certificates, these are the three things he'll look for
- DoL inspectors often visit workplaces to do impromptu health and safety inspections. During these inspections, they assess the company's compliance with the OHS Act.
If an inspector visits you, he'll check every aspect of your company's health and safety. This includes documents such as the training certificates that your employees got for first aid, fire or rescue training for example.
The ... ››› more
- [07 November 2014]