- If you're considering lodging an objection against your SARS assessment, here are the new rules you need to know about
- While the new objection rules generally follow the same format as the previous rules, the appeal and the alternative dispute resolution process, and the further processes to approach the tax board or tax court, the new rules do contain 1 or 2 innovative changes.
Let's look at some of these changes, and how they might affect you, if you want to object to an assessment, or decision the SARS Comm... ››› more
- [16 February 2017]
- Can SARS 'validly' send an assessment via eFiling?
- If SARS is unhappy with either your income tax or your VAT return, they'll be entitled to deliver an assessment to you.
But now an interesting question is raised here, namely: 'Can SARS VALIDLY deliver an assessment to you via eFiling?
In this article, we'll answer that question for you...
The Tax Administration Act obliges SARS to deliver notices, AND assessments, to your electronic... ››› more
- [16 February 2016]
- SARS reveals: Trusts are having problems submitting their info on the ITR12T form
- SARS has notified me that taxpayers are experiencing a problem when saving information on the Income Tax Return for Trusts (ITR12T) on eFiling. I really hope you're not one of them.
But if you are, here's how I can help you so you don't end up frustrated and giving up and not submitting on time.
First, you need to make sure you've followed these two steps. ********************
Don't become... ››› more
- [07 December 2015]
- Have you lodged an objection to SARS via eFiling? Then you MUST know this TIP
- So, you were very unhappy with a SARS assessment, so you decided to lodge and objection.
Now you just have to wait for SARS to get back to you, right? Not necessarily!
Once you've lodged an objection with SARS, you must keep a close eye out for any information requests they may have.
Let me explain... Objections via eFiling
If you submit your objection via eFiling, then notifications and... ››› more
- [20 November 2015]
- Make sure you know these 5 MUST-HAVES when it comes to tax certificates
- You MUST issue tax certificates to your employees! And they need to be correct.
An employee's tax certificate is proof he earned a certain remuneration, and he paid the required tax to the South African Revenue Service (SARS).
Getting these certificates wrong could lead to administrative penalties and a possible audit of your business.
As you can already see, tax certificates are very ... ››› more
- [06 November 2015]
- Over 350 000 businesses delay their Vat payments every month. Here's how you can too!
- eFiling is a simple, free and secure way to submit documents and make payments to SARS.
When you use eFiling there are fewer errors and quicker processing time for your business. And you can submit returns, view your tax status and make payments to SARS electronically 24 hours a day!
Plus, you also get until the last business day of each month to pay your Vat over. Rather than the 25th of t... ››› more
- [24 July 2015]
- Filing season for individuals is here. This is how SARS will use verifications to avoid paying up!
- It's tax season again. And you know what that means for most tax payers. Refunds, refunds, refunds!
But, since SARS is hunting for every last cent to pay for government expenses, it's doing its best to keep as much money in the bank as possible.
One way to do this is by delaying refunds. And this means millions of taxpayers will receive verifications and audits!
So if you're a taxpayer,... ››› more
- [20 July 2015]
- Avoid a SARS audit, include these nine transaction details on your ITR12T form
- SARS has tightened its belt on tax returns for Trusts. Last year, it released the new ITR12T form specifically for Trusts.
This means SARS requires more details from you than ever before. One section on the form requires specific details of the transactions within your Trust. If you fail to provide these, your Trust could be in line for a full audit from SARS.
To avoid that stress, make su... ››› more
- [08 July 2015]
- Who's responsible if SARS sends your Vat refund by cheque and it gets lost?
- Whenever a legal conflict arises, all parties look for the most advantageous solution. However, when it comes to specific regulations, clear responsibilities and preset penalties, there isn't much businesses can do.
While today's articles isn't a case of a business making a mistake, we'll explain what happens when SARS sends a refund by cheque and the cheque is lost.
Who is responsible whe... ››› more
- [27 May 2015]
- What to do when you've responded to SARS 201 Vat letter
- You're partially off the hook because you've responded to SARS' Vat 201 letter, informing them that you've done what they asked from you and send them the documents they requested, together with your short letter informing them that you found or didn't find an error.
What's the next step?
You must monitor your eFiling profile and SARS to find out the next steps on your Vat 201 debacle
T... ››› more
- [13 May 2015]