- Employment Equity Act change: What does 'EE steps and measures' mean?
- The Employment Equity Act amendments are still causing quite a lot of concern for employers.
The provisions mean you'll now have to increase your efforts to not only get more diversity into your organisation, but also actively eliminate unfair discrimination in all areas of work.
On top of this, you also have to thrash out exactly how you plan to do it. Then add that level of detail to your ... ››› more
- [27 January 2017]
- How are you increasing employment opportunities in your company's EE Plan
- As a designated employer, you need to have a valid EE Plan.
In your EE Plan, you must describe what steps you're taking to increase employment opportunities for previously disadvantaged people at your company. These are your affirmative action measures (Section 20, of the Employment Equity Act).
But many employers I've spoken to are struggling in this area.
So that's why I'm writing to... ››› more
- [29 June 2016]
- Answer these eight questions to ensure your EE Plan is legally compliant
- As a designated employer, you're legally required to draw up an Employment Equity (EE) Plan, which you must implement to achieve employment equity in the workplace.
Failure to draw up a legally compliant EE Plan will put you at serious risk of paying heavy non-compliance fines of as much as R2.7 million!
So to help you ensure that your EE plan is legally compliant, I have pieced together eig... ››› more
- [10 June 2016]
- Four elements your EE Plan has to have
- As a designated employer, it's your responsibility to ensure that you carry out all your employment equity (EE) duties correctly and effectively, otherwise you'll face a R2.7 million fine, and even risk losing as much as 10% of your annual turnover!
Now, one of your most important duties, as a designated employer, has to be your EE Plan. Under section 20 of the Employment Equity Act, you are re... ››› more
- [20 April 2016]
- 10 areas your AA measures should cover in your EE Plan
- As a designated employer, you must have an EE Plan in place.
And one of the main elements of your EE Plan are the Affirmative Action Measures.
These show what measures you're taking in order to increase the opportunities of previously disadvantaged people in your company.
In order to ensure that your EE Plan has effective affirmative action measures, cover the following 10 areas...
**... ››› more
- [23 March 2016]
- Don't be like the SAPS. Consider these seven factors to ensure your EE Plan is lawful
- Earlier this year, it was reported that the Labour Court declared the South African Police Service's (SAPS's) Employment Equity (EE) Plan invalid.
It was found that the plan amounted to nothing more than a quota system, which in itself was non-compliant with the EE Act as well as Section 2 of the Constitution.
Now, from this recent news, there appears to have been a misinterpretation, from t... ››› more
- [17 March 2016]
- SAPS EE plan recently ruled unlawful
- In Johannesburg last week, the Labour Court ruled that the South African Police Service's Employment Equity Plan was unlawful. This is as reported by the Citizen... The Court noted that the EE Plan turned out to be a quota system and so is non-compliant with the Employment Equity Act. It also violates the equality clause of the Constitution, namely section ((2).
Deputy General Secretary of Soli... ››› more
- [03 February 2016]
- Use these four codes to help you manage EE in workplace
- If you're a designated employer, then the Employment Equity (EE) Act applies to you. And it's your legal obligation to comply with it.
Failure to do so can lead to heavy penalties. Our Minister of Labour, Mildred Oliphant, recently said that any employers who don't comply with employment equity laws will be prosecuted.
But, there are various codes which you can use to assist your EE manageme... ››› more
- [19 October 2015]
- Eight things you must include when preparing your EE Plan
- As a designated employer, one of your duties is to prepare an Employment Equity (EE) Plan. Here are eight things to include in it, as laid out in Labour Law for Managers.
1. The total duration of your plan:
Your EE plan must be no shorter than one year and no longer than five years.
2. The goals for each year of your plan:
You need to set out what EE measures yo... ››› more
- [06 August 2015]
- Racism or BEE? Cricket SA finds itself in hot water over this topic once again
- Cricket South Africa's (CSA) quota system has always been a hotly contested issue. And now it's heating up even more.
This after AfriForum yesterday requested its legal team to submit a formal complaint to the International Cricket Council (ICC) as a 'result of the race prescriptions that were laid down by CSA for the composition of the Proteas team for its semi-final during the recent Cricket... ››› more
- [02 April 2015]