- Tax invoices 101: Here's what's acceptable when it comes to tax invoices
- The following in tax invoices will stand up to SARS' scrutiny
Are there any inaccuracies in your tax invoices?
If SARS asks you to sign this document... STOP! Put down that pen. You have the right to refuse
SARS is very strict when it comes to tax invoices.
For example, you must ensure certain details appear on your tax invoice and you must adhere to certain require... ››› more
- [16 June 2017]
- We interviewed a medical doctor, and this is what he had to say about sick-leave abuse
- In an interview with a medical doctor today, I was able to gather some very interesting information regarding sick-leave abuse.
And with a long weekend upon us, his words may have more relevance than ever.
Here's what he had to say about sick-leave abuse...
Finally: A simple way to manage absenteeism and leave effectively… No more lost work days!
Fi... ››› more
- [24 March 2016]
- News: Accountant gets caught for alleged R5 million fraud
- According to a recent News24 article, a former official of the South African Revenue Service (SARS), was recently expected to appear in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on charges of VAT fraud amounting to more than R5 million. In a statement, SARS said that they arrested the chartered accountant from her place of work in Centurion.
A spokesperson went on to say that the fraud went on for a peri... ››› more
- [02 December 2015]
- Use these 4 internal controls to prevent payroll fraud
- If your business manages its own payroll, then your payroll is at risk of falling victim to errors, and even fraud!
The four major examples of payroll fraud include:
· Timesheet fraud: When an employee says they've worked more hours than they say they have, and you pay them for this;
· Ghost employees: When an employee adds false employees to the payroll. This then leads to ... ››› more
- [24 November 2015]
- Do you have an 'Isak Engelbrecht' issuing false tax invoices in your company's name?
- I've just had an urgent call from Peter Franck, my Editor-in-chief of the Practical VAT Loose Leaf Service, that I have to share. At his most recent meeting at SARS, Peter learnt about a man named Isak Engelbrecht.
SARS caught Isak issuing false tax invoices to his crooked buddies! Isak's friends would claim the input tax and then split it up amongst themselves. But there was no corresponding ... ››› more
- [22 October 2015]
- News: SARS catches out yet another tax syndicate
- On Friday 9th October, the South African Police Service's top crime-fighting unit, the Hawks, arrested two men after an investigation by the South African Revenue Service (SARS) revealed a tax scam amounting to R50 million. According to SARS spokesperson, Luther Lubelo, 'the syndicate allegedly fabricated fraudulent documentation reflecting purchases of second-hand jewellery amounting to R50 milli... ››› more
- [15 October 2015]
- 36 000 ghost employees paid billions in salaries - don't fall victim to payroll fraud
- The North West government revealed they paid R19 billion in salaries which included 36 000 ghost employees. All these 'employees' received a promotion and a raise!
And to make it worse, salaries accounted for over half of the province's expenses! Now, your salaries might not come to billions but, can you afford to waste any of your hard-earned cash on fictitious employees?
I didn't think so!... ››› more
- [30 September 2015]
- Five controls to decrease the risk of accounts payable fraud in your company
- Your accounts payable department is particularly susceptible to fraud. This is because you make all your company's payments from this division.
And if you don't manage your accounts payable well, it could pose serious financial risks to your cash flow and impact your business negatively.
But you don't have to fall victim to fraud. Read on as I explain five top controls you can use to tight... ››› more
- [30 September 2015]
- Nine indicators to help you identify fraud in your business
- Financial statement fraud is when your financial manager intentionally overstates or understates assets, revenues, and profits.
You might have suspected management doing this in a desperate attempt to meet company goals and objectives to meet investors' expectations.
But instead this will actually cripple your business and you could be the one that ends up in jail!
So, today I'm giving you... ››› more
- [28 September 2015]
- Four quick tips for picking up if the sick note your employee submitted is fake
- Ever been handed a sick note by one of your employees that's left you feeling suspicious?
'Is this valid? Is this fake?', you might ask yourself as you glance over it.
Today, I'm shedding some light on how you can pick up if your employee has submitted a potentially fake or fraudulent sick note. Here's what to look out for.
1. What's deemed a valid sick note
If the sick note your empl... ››› more
- [23 June 2015]