- I bet you don't know the difference between these three risk assessment essentials!
- Here's how you can be 100% sure your risk assessments are legally compliant...
Remember, you must do a risk assessment to be compliant with the OHS Act!
Do you know the difference between these three simple, but essential risk assessment terms: A danger, a hazard and a risk?
I know it sounds silly, but I recently attended a seminar on Risk Assessments and you wouldn't... ››› more
- [24 May 2017]
- Three reasons why it's so important to do a sanitation risk assessment
- If your employees work in filthy conditions, they're going to pick up all kinds of diseases. They could get stomach viruses, breathing problems, intestinal infections. All of these come from the kind of bacteria that live and breed in damp, dirty, unhygienic places.
When your employees get sick, it means lost productivity. You must also deal with COID if your employee is incapacitated for more ... ››› more
- [10 March 2017]
- Four types of OHSA's health and safety risk assessment you need to know about
- Having a HIRA (hazard identification and risk assessment) process at your company is one of the most important tools at your disposal to ensure your company's compliant with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).Here are the four types of risk assessments you must do...
Most incidents in the workplace happen because of insufficient management controls. One way of ensuring your compa... ››› more
- [03 October 2016]
- Medical Surveillance: Four steps to follow if you discover negative health effects
- As you know, it's a legal requirement, under the Occupational Health and Safety (OHSA) Act, to carry out medical surveillance for all your employees in the workplace.
So, if your employee is exposed to a potentially hazardous agent in the workplace, you must perform laboratory tests and questionnaires to look for any health changes.
Let's say that you do in fact spot health changes in an emp... ››› more
- [11 May 2016]
- The one health and safety duty many employers get wrong
- You have many health and safety obligations in the workplace which you simply can't afford to ignore. Because doing so could lead to a R100 000 fine or a one-year prison sentence!
So it's vitally important you ensure you're carrying them out all the time.
But there's one in particular many employers not only overlook, but misinterpret altogether.
In this article, we'll reveal to you th... ››› more
- [09 May 2016]
- What PPE must I use? Find out here with these three common workplace hazards
- You have a legal duty to uphold your employees' health and safety in the workplace. And part of that duty is to provide them with personal protective equipment (PPE).
And you must also ensure the PPE you provide actually suits the hazard it's being used for.
So to help give you get an idea of what PPE to provide, here's a list of three very common workplace hazards in a standard workplace..... ››› more
- [05 May 2016]
- One deadly workplace hazard you've probably overlooked
- We all know how important risk assessments are. They help you to identify hazards in your workplace. Not to mention, it's a legal requirement!
But that's easy enough to understand. The real question is where to look for these hazards. After all, you can't identify any hazards if you don't know where to look.
An obvious place to start would be structural hazards and material hazards. But th... ››› more
- [05 May 2016]
- Do you have hazardous chemicals in your workplace? Then implement these 4 control measures immediately
- So you've conducted a risk assessment of your workplace, and you've noticed you have a hazardous chemical substance risk! What now?
The answer is very simple: You have to deal with it immediately! Failing to do so could lead to your employees falling seriously ill!
So when you identify a chemical substance risk in your workplace, carry out these four control measures as soon as possible...... ››› more
- [03 May 2016]
- 2 steps you need to follow when dealing with potentially hazardous chemical substances in the workplace
- If your company works with potentially hazardous chemical substances, then you have to be extremely careful! Because one little error can lead to:
· your employees falling gravely ill or becoming badly injured; or
· your equipment becoming written off.
So in order to help you deal with potentially hazardous chemical substances in the workplace, here are 2 vital steps you ... ››› more
- [28 April 2016]
- 'We outsource our health and safety, so I don't have to worry about it.' - WRONG!
- As you may know, I'm coordinating a seminar on Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment. So when I was telling Marc a business owner, about this event, he said he doesn't worry about conducting risk assessments in his company. The reason - he says 'We outsource our health and safety, so I don't have to worry about it.'
Unfortunately, he couldn't be more wrong!
The OHS Act says the employer ... ››› more
- [26 April 2016]