- 2 Unsuspecting hazards in the office that pose a real risk to your employees
- Conducting risk assessments in the workplace are vitally important for a host of reasons.
Not only will they help you maintain peak productivity because of a safe work environment, and keep insurance costs low, but they will ultimately keep you in business!
It's a legal and, more importantly, moral obligation which you simply must carry out.
And offices are no expectation to this obligati... ››› more
- [31 March 2016]
- Look into these five ergonomic hazards when it comes to pregnant employees
- Ergonomics has to do with work systems that ensure the overall comfort, health and safety for employees - and pregnant employees are certainly no exception.
As an employer, it is your legal obligation to ensure that the health of your pregnant and breastfeeding employees is maintained.
Within this obligation, you should look into any areas which may pose a risk to a pregnant employee. This c... ››› more
- [23 December 2015]
- Health and Safety affects overall production! So ALWAYS follow this simple tip.
- According to Mining Weekly, 'Gold mining company AngloGold Ashanti beat cost and overall production guidance in the three months to September 30, but fatalities and safety stoppages lowered South African output.'
According to AngloGold CEO, Srinivasan Venkatakrishnan, the multi-national company had a very bad quarter, in terms of safety, in South Africa - many of which were caused by ground fal... ››› more
- [17 November 2015]
- Do you know what PPE applies to these four hazard sources?
- It is virtually impossible to remove ALL health and safety hazards from the workplace. But you can minimise the risks they pose by providing Personal Protective Equipment to your employees.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is clothing or accessories that when used correctly will create a barrier between the wearer and the hazard to which he is exposed. By doing this, any adverse health effec... ››› more
- [29 September 2015]
- Use this risk assessment model when examining procedurally controlled activities
- Risk assessments help you identify hazards and assess risks in the workplace. On top of it, they are a legal requirement. So it is important for you to carry them out in the name of health and safety.
There are several risk assessment models that are used. One of them, as will be discussed in this article, is called the Operating Support Hazard Analysis, otherwise known as the O&SHA.
This ... ››› more
- [24 September 2015]
- You have legal duty to protect the health of pregnant and breastfeeding employees. Here are five tips to ensure that you do...
- As an employer, it's your legal obligation to ensure that the health of your pregnant and breastfeeding employees is maintained.
There are several tips you can follow to ensure this.
Here are five of them: Tip#1:
Identify, record and review any possible risks to pregnant and breastfeeding employees.
Identify, record and review any protective adjustments made in the workplace... ››› more
- [20 September 2015]
- Eight tips to avoid the risk of fire on your construction site
- A workplace fire can have severe consequences to your construction site!
So it is vitally important that you take all necessary measures to reduce fire risks on your premises.
Here are eight tips that you can follow to avoid fire risks... And what's more, they will help you keep you in line with the new Construction Regulations:
1. Ensure that good housekeeping is maintained.
2. Ma... ››› more
- [11 September 2015]
- Five hazards to look into when carrying out your risk assessments
- Carrying out risk assessments are important parts of health and safety in the workplace. By carrying out a risk assessment, you can identify any hazards in the workplace that could lead to a workplace incident.
So look at these five common hazards in the workplace and ensure that your workplace is hazard-free:
1. Structural hazards:
These include the physical structure in which the... ››› more
- [06 September 2015]
- Four precautionary measures you need for hazardous chemical substance risks
- Once you have identified any hazardous chemical substances in the workplace, you will then need to determine which employees may be at risk.
When doing so, you must ensure that all existing precautionary measures are implemented, maintained and used correctly.
Here are four precautionary measures to keep in place:
1. Engineering controls:
These include the isolation or the encl... ››› more
- [26 August 2015]
- Three tips for dealing with hazardous chemical substances in the workplace
- Hazardous chemical substances, should you have any, can be a huge risk in your workplace. Such risks include injury to your employees, damage to equipment and adverse effects to those in the community around your workplace and to the surrounding environment.
So it is important to identify any chemicals that may be a risk in the workplace.
Here are three tips to identify hazardous chemical s... ››› more
- [26 August 2015]