- Three hazards to watch out for when working in confined spaces
- Today we're giving you detailed informtion about the hazards your employees might confront when working in confined spaces. There are several rules that vary when working in such spaces and the risks are also much higher whenever your employees work here.
Read on to discover why...
Before we look at the different hazards, take a look at these stats to see which of the potential hazards ... ››› more
- [01 April 2015]
- Why you must have a written safety procedure in place when working with HCS
- Hazardous chemical substances (HCS) are one of the most risky safety situations. And that's why today we're giving you the reasons for having a written safety procedure in case your employees have to work with them.
When you introduce a written safety work procedure for staff who work with chemicals, include these four instructions.
Four things your written HCS safety procedure much include... ››› more
- [30 March 2015]
- Five common hazards at the workplace: Raise awareness of them and increase your worker's safety!
- We all know people who are so absent minded they knock their heads on anything hanging from the ceiling. They're usually the same people who will walk into a door glass, place a cup near the end of the table or spill their coffee on their keyboard at least once a week.
For an efficient health and safety system, we're sure you don't want someone like this on your team.
But you don't have much... ››› more
- [18 March 2015]
- Who can issue a safe work permit? Do you know when it expires?
- In accordance with the current safety law, there are only two people that can issue safe work permits. It is important for your company's health and safety policy to know and apply this correctly.
Here's what you need to know to do that.
Safe work permits can be issued by the following people
A safe work permit can be issued by the department manager or supervisor of the listed work.
Bu... ››› more
- [11 March 2015]
- Do this and you won't make any mistakes when implementing your Health and Safety Management System!
- As an employer, you have to prevent employee injury and adverse health effects and in the long term this will save your company money.
Bear in mind that your Health and Safety Management System must be easy to implement and sustain. Here's how to ensure it is.
Note that you are legally required to manage health and safety in your company.
There are several rules you have to follow to ma... ››› more
- [09 March 2015]
- To identify what could harm your employees, you must perform an accurate risk assessment
- In respect to the activities of an organisation, you are responsible for managing an examination or a risk assessment of what could harm your employees or cause damage to property.
Here are the steps you should take when doing this:
- Identify the hazards associated with an activity (physical task, or process at hand etc), to assess the seriousness of these hazards and to formulate systems of... ››› more
- [04 March 2015]
- Protect your workplace from the start: The aim and scope of evironmental regulations in the OHS Act!
- The Green Building Council South Africa (GBCSA) has launched its new Green Star SA Interiors tool. The new project encourages tenants to rate the interior fit-outs of their premises with the overall aim of encouraging a reduced environmental impact of its interior projects.
"We are excited to launch this pioneering new tool for South Africa, and believe that it will help transform thousands of o... ››› more
- [04 March 2015]
- To protect your workers against workplace hazards you must understandthe role PPE plays in health and safety
- Do you know that engineering controls, administrative controls, and good work practices are always preferred instead of personal protective equipment (PPE) as methods to protect workers against workplace hazards?
After all PPE must always be regarded as a "last resort" to protect against risks to safety and health.
Why should you consider PPE as a "last resort"?
Here are several reason... ››› more
- [03 March 2015]
- Is sitting at your desk slowly killing you? Could the Standing Desk be a new trend in 2015?
- What do you do at your workplace all day? I know, you'll say that you work. But if you're anything like me, you're also sitting for at least eight hours at your desk, in front of your computer. But do you think how much this is actually affecting you? And leading you to poor work performance in the long run? Also, the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes increases with the lack of moving for such a ... ››› more
- [27 February 2015]
- Five tips to help you identify hazards during your risk assessment so you can comply with health and safety laws
- When doing a risk assessment, you must identify hazards. Assess the risks that come with each of them. And implement suitable risk control measures to reduce or prevent them.
It's crucial that you identify hazards effectively. If you leave anything out, your employees will still be in danger. And you know what that means: A rise in incident rates, DoL penalties, or even prosecution for not comp... ››› more
- [25 February 2015]