- What PPE must I use? Find out here with these three common workplace hazards
- You have a legal duty to uphold your employees' health and safety in the workplace. And part of that duty is to provide them with personal protective equipment (PPE).
And you must also ensure the PPE you provide actually suits the hazard it's being used for.
So to help give you get an idea of what PPE to provide, here's a list of three very common workplace hazards in a standard workplace..... ››› more
- [05 May 2016]
- One deadly workplace hazard you've probably overlooked
- We all know how important risk assessments are. They help you to identify hazards in your workplace. Not to mention, it's a legal requirement!
But that's easy enough to understand. The real question is where to look for these hazards. After all, you can't identify any hazards if you don't know where to look.
An obvious place to start would be structural hazards and material hazards. But th... ››› more
- [05 May 2016]
- Look into these five ergonomic hazards when it comes to pregnant employees
- Ergonomics has to do with work systems that ensure the overall comfort, health and safety for employees - and pregnant employees are certainly no exception.
As an employer, it is your legal obligation to ensure that the health of your pregnant and breastfeeding employees is maintained.
Within this obligation, you should look into any areas which may pose a risk to a pregnant employee. This c... ››› more
- [23 December 2015]
- Health and Safety affects overall production! So ALWAYS follow this simple tip.
- According to Mining Weekly, 'Gold mining company AngloGold Ashanti beat cost and overall production guidance in the three months to September 30, but fatalities and safety stoppages lowered South African output.'
According to AngloGold CEO, Srinivasan Venkatakrishnan, the multi-national company had a very bad quarter, in terms of safety, in South Africa - many of which were caused by ground fal... ››› more
- [17 November 2015]
- Do you know what PPE applies to these four hazard sources?
- It is virtually impossible to remove ALL health and safety hazards from the workplace. But you can minimise the risks they pose by providing Personal Protective Equipment to your employees.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is clothing or accessories that when used correctly will create a barrier between the wearer and the hazard to which he is exposed. By doing this, any adverse health effec... ››› more
- [29 September 2015]
- Use this risk assessment model when examining procedurally controlled activities
- Risk assessments help you identify hazards and assess risks in the workplace. On top of it, they are a legal requirement. So it is important for you to carry them out in the name of health and safety.
There are several risk assessment models that are used. One of them, as will be discussed in this article, is called the Operating Support Hazard Analysis, otherwise known as the O&SHA.
This ... ››› more
- [24 September 2015]
- You have legal duty to protect the health of pregnant and breastfeeding employees. Here are five tips to ensure that you do...
- As an employer, it's your legal obligation to ensure that the health of your pregnant and breastfeeding employees is maintained.
There are several tips you can follow to ensure this.
Here are five of them: Tip#1:
Identify, record and review any possible risks to pregnant and breastfeeding employees.
Identify, record and review any protective adjustments made in the workplace... ››› more
- [20 September 2015]
- Five hazards to look into when carrying out your risk assessments
- Carrying out risk assessments are important parts of health and safety in the workplace. By carrying out a risk assessment, you can identify any hazards in the workplace that could lead to a workplace incident.
So look at these five common hazards in the workplace and ensure that your workplace is hazard-free:
1. Structural hazards:
These include the physical structure in which the... ››› more
- [06 September 2015]
- Conducting a risk assessment isn't the only way you can identify hazards in your workplace. Here are seven other ways...
- It's your legal duty to look at all possible injuries and illnesses your workplace exposes your employees to. But that's easier said than done!
Here are seven ways you can identify hazards in your workplace and reduce the risk of injury or illness. And make sure you're OHS compliant...
There are over 100 health and safety questions you need to ask to measur... ››› more
- [19 May 2015]
- Toilet protests in Soweto show how important it is to have proper facilities at work
- New Africa reported on Tuesday, people in Soweto blocked roads in protest. They were protesting about the old 'bucket toilet systems' that still exists in some parts of the township.
The protesters say the bucket system should have disappeared with Apartheid and we think the Department of Labour would agree.
This is why the OHS Act highlights how important proper toilets and occupational hyg... ››› more
- [13 June 2014]