- 12 important documents you must have when a DoL inspector shows up on your construction site!
- A DoL inspector can enter your construction site at any time - without any previous notice - to ensure your site complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
Here are 12 documents to include in your health and safety file, for when he comes knocking on your door... 1. Health and safety specifications
Even though these specifications can often be located in the bill of quantities o... ››› more
- [27 January 2017]
- 10 Appointment letters you must have in your health and safety file to stay compliant.
- Managing a construction site isn't easy. That's why you need to manage the appointment of the right staff to help you.
When the DoL comes knocking, you need to be able to prove the competency of your health and safety team members.
For every new construction project you start, you must have an up-to-date health and safety file.
Here are 10 appointment letters the Construction Regulations ... ››› more
- [19 December 2016]
- Answer these 11 questions to ensure your health and safety file is ready for an inspection
- Most of us know that an inspector from the Department of Labour (DoL) can knock on the door of your construction site at any time for an inspection. And yet many employers still aren't adequately prepared for when it happens to them!
One of the areas in which these employers fail to comply with the most is their health and safety files. In other words, they don't contain all the correct docume... ››› more
- [17 August 2016]
- 4 Steps to complete your own comprehensive health and safety system
- One of the many complaints I hear from our subscribers is that they really want to do what's best for the health and safety of their company, and their employees. But they don't always know exactly how.
Sometimes, the problem is that you just don't know where to start. But, once you get the ball rolling, you feel pretty confident that you have a grasp on all the important issues. Here's what Ja... ››› more
- [17 March 2016]
- 12 Contents you must include in ALL your health and safety files
- If you want to start a construction project, you need to make sure you have an up-to-date health and safety file.
The Principal Contractor and the Contractor must open up the file. And it must be available on site.
While the contents of health and safety files may differ from client to client, there are 12 contents that you simply have to include in them:
In your health and safety file... ››› more
- [06 September 2015]
- Would your construction site pass the 'safety file' test?
- A safety file contains more than just a safety plan and a few registers. It is to your construction site, what the constitution is to a state. It holds everything together. But like the constitution, it can be very broad.
At any time, an inspector could arrive on your site to do an inspection. To know if your site will handle his test, you first need to know what should be in a safety file. We... ››› more
- [06 July 2015]
- Here's where to start to get your SME compliant before your first DoL inspection
- As an SME, you probably find the idea of health and safety overwhelming!
Accident rates in SMEs are twice that of larger businesses can't be leaving you feeling any better. Or that the cost of safety failure could shut you down completely!
I'm going to tell you where to start so you can be 100% sure your health and management system is compliant!
Read on for what you need to know to start... ››› more
- [30 April 2015]
- Do this one thing today to ensure the DoL inspector doesn't penalise your company
- The thought of a DoL inspector arriving at your workplace is terrifying for most employers. If he sees even the slightest sign of poor health and safety, he'll penalise you.
But you don't have to be afraid of his visit, especially if you do this one thing.
Read on and discover what this one thing is, so you can do it today...
You can avoid a DoL penalty if you do this one thing to... ››› more
- [20 October 2014]
- Nine health and safety documents the DoL will inspect when it comes knocking
- The DoL sends inspectors to assess if businesses are complying with the OHS Act all over the country.
If an inspector knocks on your door, he'll want to see these nine health and safety documents...
Show the DoL inspector these nine documents when he visits your workplace
When the DoL inspector comes visiting, he'll want to see your:
1. Health and safety plan;
... ››› more
- [06 October 2014]
- Don't draw straws. Here's how to nominate your Health and Safety Representative the right way
- Appointing a health and safety representative isn't a matter of drawing straws and just picking anyone. There's a process you must follow to nominate your health and safety representative.
If you don't follow this process, you could end up with a representative who:
1. None of your other staff will listen to;
2. Doesn't fulfill your OHS regulation's requirements; and
3. Doesn't want the po... ››› more
- [02 June 2014]